Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-28-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Working with Loops

Hi guys,

Just dipping my toes in making music again and wondering how you are working with Sample CD's, loops etc? How do you get your inspiration from these?

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see how you work and make them your own?

I usually drag them in and see what works, more often than not I get to a point and just run out of ideas.

Lets hear it.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Working with Loops

Well, I'm not known for working with loops, on the odd occasion though, I use Ableton Live. I' getting more and more into that app really, it's very cool. If I have a loop in Pro Tools I do very basic stuff, just duplicate it, change something barely noticeable in a couple of the copies and so on.

I can give you a general tip on inspiration: Try messing with sounds you usually don't work with. If possible, use them with equipment you ARE usually working with. If you're a guitar player that means playing with weirdo settings, if you're die-hard piano player then turn on the organ and so on. For loops? Well, I did some crazy automation with the free Frohmage plug-in from Ohm Force a few days ago on a drum loop.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Working with Loops

Cool, thanks, defo useful. Think I'm just getting my Music Brain back in gear and seeing how others work is good.

AAbleton is cool, I tend to use that for DJ sets and also ReWire for auditioning in real time. Good fun, beat repeat is always top of my hit list.