Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Is an external drive superior to a 2nd internal drive for recording with Protools?

2nd internal drive for recording with Protools?

I seem to have read this somewhere... Is there any reason why it might be true?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Is an external drive superior to a 2nd internal drive for recording with Protools

Not true. If you are talking about a desktop model, a second internal SATA 7200rpm drive will perform a bit better than an external 7200rpm Firewire drive.

If that is not what you are asking, then you need to be more specific.

You might have seen someone recommending an external drive instead of an internal because it makes it a lot easier to move the drive to another system for various reasons.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Is an external drive superior to a 2nd internal drive for recording with Protools

I again apologize for my ever so rude comment of "where are u getting ur info from", as I see it has gotten deleted...

So rude of me, although we have these irate posters as of late, & I won't call names, who really come deep & VERY OFFENSIVE TO PEOPLE THAT THEY AREN'T EVEN POSTING TO & there post stick around like thatz fine to do

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM

At the moment, anything spinning at 7200rpm can give you adequate performance - both internal and external firewire.

As far as SATA goes, you're limited mainly by the interface.
Most people connect their internal SATA drives directly to the motherboard. This is fine, but is also a bottleneck.

Real performance comes from a RAID-5 setup (3 drives) using a good dedicated RAID addon card, regardless of whether they're platter or SSD drives..... and then of course there's the cost.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 AM

I can see why you ask since in the very PT manual on page 50 (PT7) Digidesign writes and I quote: 'Dididesign recommends qualified FireWire drives...' . On the same in another section they also mention IDE/SATA harddrives, but only write: 'may be used as a dedicated audio drive'.
I misinterpreted this as meaning that they recommend Firewire drives over internal designated audio drives.
Memory: 2GB
ST3250310SV 250GB (SATA300, 3.:233GB (H:)
ST3320620AS 320GB (SATA150, 3.:298GB (C:)
External Harddisk: Lacie D2 Quadra 1 TB firewire 400 (Oxford 11 chipset - using a different firewire card than fw410)
Windows System: Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
M-audio Firewire 410 (ADS PYRO PCI 64 bit firewire card with Texas instrument chipset)
(6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
Pro Tools M-powered 8.03