Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-14-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Will Beat Detective do this?

Yes. Get one. I can't imagine using my Mac without a 2-button mouse any more...

Right click is a HUGE time saver with 7.3.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM

If I follow your process correctly, you have a bunch of tracks that each have a single region in them played by the Yamaha, but they are out of sync.

Can you not just switch to the bars/beats grid, visually trim the head of each region to the start of its sequence and snap the start to the grid? You could then nudge any regions that don't sound tight.

Hopefully the Yamaha is not changing tempos on you, so in theory each of the sections you have recorded is at the right tempo, but the start just needs to be aligned. No need for beat detective to do this.

In the future, I would learn how to send a midi message to trigger the Yamaha to start playing, then this sync issue will be gone. Much, much easier.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM

JEFF,

I was not aware PT could send such a message. Does that have something to do with the Clock?
I would simply need to transmit a message to Channel 1 in the XS.
Wheere do I set that up in PT? I no longer have a manual, and PT "HELP" file DID NOT DOWNLOAD when I spent my $75 on the 7.3 upgrade.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Hah! Idiot me and my new iMac

I wrote"

I am on a Mac, no left and right button on mouse - so how do I implement?

Duh to the max, because the new iMac comes with a mouse that tilts to the left and right and clicks....only took me three weeks to figure out I have a "right" click mouse.
Love "snap to" ability.....
Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
JEFF,

I was not aware PT could send such a message. Does that have something to do with the Clock?
I would simply need to transmit a message to Channel 1 in the XS.
Wheere do I set that up in PT? I no longer have a manual, and PT "HELP" file DID NOT DOWNLOAD when I spent my $75 on the 7.3 upgrade.
I am assuming that your keyboard will respond to a midi "note on" event to start playback of the sequence, in which case you'd just make a midi track in protools, set its output to your keyboard, and insert a note on it that would trigger playback. For each recording pass you'd just turn off the sounds you didn't want on the keyboard.

It would be better to sync the two machines, but the method above would work assuming there isn't a huge drift in the clocks of the two systems. If there is, and you are tracking repeating parts, you could always just manually quantize the first occurance and duplicate it, but you would have to match tempos.

You should also be able to record the midi that the keyboard is generating into protools, which would be my prefered way of doing this. Just assign each instrument to a different midi channel on the keyboard, then set up tracks in ProTools assigned to single channels. One record pass does 16 tracks. You can then get ProTools to play the keyboard while you record the audio onto new audio tracks, which will now all be in sync. This would also allow you to fine tune the sequences in ProTools using midi, which is much easier than manipulating the audio.

You should be able to download the help file by going to your Digi account.