Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-19-2022, 03:57 PM

Default Major issues with Nexis

I'm having a hellish time trying to get PT to work with our Nexis Pro.
For over ten years we've done solid work with Mac Pro5,1s and incorporated the Nexis about five years ago without any problems. It was a terrific workflow.
Recently, we decided the time was right to upgrade the studios as we had pretty much reached end-of-life with hardware, OS and software.

We opted for the Mac Studio M1 Max with Sonnet expansion chassis for the HDX cards. Out of the box they would not play nicely with the Nexis. The Nexis system software was pretty old so I knew that would be an issue, but it also wouldn't talk to a newer Nexis that we have for video work.

For a while we worked locally which worked - mostly - but was inconvenient. I then repurposed a Synology NAS for studio connectivity and that has been working - mostly.

Now, I have updated the Nexis system and the Nexis Clients. I have updated the MacOS. I have updated Pro Tools. I checked that all components were compatible according to Avid documentation. Still no good.

The issues seem to be read/write ones. First thing I tried after confirming everything was running the appropriate software was a "Save Copy In", copying a project from the NAS to the Nexis. A few seconds in... 'bad address' error. I can't describe how depressing this was! This error cropped up frequently when we first upgraded, most noticeable when opening AAFs.

Next, I tried to move the Project folder from the NAS to the Nexis in the Finder. 150MB in... computer spontaneously shut down and rebooted. This happened twice and seems replicable.

Next, I moved a project from the NAS to the desktop and then to the Nexis. That worked. So is the two-way network traffic causing a problem?

Finally, I opened a project from the Nexis. So far, so good. Played OK. A couple of things I tried indicated that the Nexis workspace didn't have record permissions but I fixed that. Then I went to render a clip using Audiosuite and Pro Tools hung. I left it and went for a coffee. Came back. Still hung. Forced quit - restarted Mac - tried again. Same.

I haven't done much more as I have a lot of work to get on with so I'm back on the NAS. There are other non-Nexis issues like 'missing codec' errors when I've been playing a session with the same video file perfectly well for several days prior. But for now, if I can just sort this Nexis issue I'll be happy.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It does feel like a networking thing. I've submitted a support case with Avid so will work through it with them but I know fellow-users often have genius ideas that might help.

Many thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Max
Sonnet Echo 1
Pro Tools HDX

PT Ultimate 2022.9
MacOS 12.5.1
Nexis Pro 22.5.0.109

1GB Network
Old 10-19-2022, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Major issues with Nexis

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420842

I have 22 systems running off Nexis and experiencing the same issues even after upgrading to Nexis 2022.5 (which is way better but still sucks) and Pro Tools 2022.9. It works "ok" (just sometimes cannot save) until you open audio suite and then it pops. I am at the point where I am considering pulling the M1 macs and replacing them with second hand Intel Macs. I would go PC but we are running VoiceQ (mac only) on all those machines. We have 2 x Nexis Pro 40TB bonded and one stand-alone.
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 10-20-2022, 11:16 AM

My M1 Max is working perfect with my qnap NAS. I know not a Nexis but a network drive.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-20-2022, 07:01 PM

A Synology NAS is our current workaround but not as solid with several workstations hitting it.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:09 PM

Didn't see that thread. Thanks, Stef. So things came good, briefly, in July but are still unstable? We've just avoided it altogether as we cannot afford the downtime.

I just spoke to a friendly contact at Avid who thinks this could be related to a known problem and will contact Avid support at a higher level to investigate and escalate my support case. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:36 AM

Hi David,
I see Nexis update 2022.9 was released on 19 October - I will install that over the weekend and see if there was any improvement - I do not see it on the read.me
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Documentation
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 10-23-2022, 03:13 PM

Let us know how it goes, Stef. We updated last week and I made absolutely sure that Nexis, Nexis Client, Pro Tools, and OS were all qualified and compatible. I had a follow email from support with a couple of questions, such as 'does Audiosuite renders freeze with all plugins?' Like I have time to sit and test hundreds of plugins! But I did test some and get them to lock-up. Many didn't. I also noticed that it depended (though not consistently) on whether I'm rendering multiple clips or not, and whether I chose to make a 'continuous file' or not. Lots of variables. Annoyingly, after a spontaneous reboot, I was able to move files between servers, render clips and generally run a session as normal without any problem for about twenty minutes. Anyway, after providing more detail, Avid came back with "We have a Bug related to this issue which seemed specific to M1 machines with Nexis". As it was late on Friday and I was about to leave, I thought I'd move a session from the NAS to the Nexis and run it for real on Monday. Bang. Mac rebooted. Sigh.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:39 AM

We have pretty much the exact same spec as @David McCarthy and pretty much the exact same issues. And have had since june. Usually a prompt says that Pro Tools is unable to auto save the session and then everything falls apart.

One thing that worked better for us (not good) was using Thunderbolt3>Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 2>Ethernet adapters to connect to Nexis. With this we could be up and running for almost two hours before the errors. With the built in nic the time was much shorter.

I have been in contact with Avid on and off regarding this since june and they recently said that they have identified the issue but don't know how to fix it (possibly without breaking something else). They claim it's a top priority though. From what I understand it's not adressed in the 2022.9 release.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:14 AM

Info from Avid engineer from yesterday stated that they "might" have something in december. He didn't sound that convinced though.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:04 PM

there's a known issue with M1 and network shares over SMB (AFP works fine). something about kernel panics due to the cpu efficiency cores not scaling up when transferring large amounts of data. different issue entirely, but perhaps the underlying problem is the same since a hard reboot / panic is the same result with the SMB bug.