Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Default Moving a mix from LE to HD...

Hi there,

Searched quite a bit through the DUC but couldn't find my answer to this.

I'm wondering if there's anybody out there who could comment on starting a *mix* for a show in LE and then moving it to an HD system to finish. I'm working out the logistics for a documentary where I'd like to do the bulk of the mixing on my PTLE CPTK system at home but then do a day of finishing at a proper stage on a PTHD system. I'm concerned about how the project will transfer from LE to HD, specifically with levels as I once had a bad experience a couple years ago when transferring a music mix I did on LE to my older PT MIX system. What sounded fine on the LE system sounded distorted on the MIX system. I later learned that the mix engines are different in that LE is 32 bit float and the MIX was 24 bit fixed (I think). Will I have similar problems going from LE to HD?

Thanks!
JR
Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Moving a mix from LE to HD...

Well u shouldn't have a prob as far as the the mix engine... howeva, depending on how many plugs u have, u could have a major issue in HD power wise... the HD owners will say otherwise but I have both(HD rig is @ the Nashville spot) & rather stay in LE b/c I get more done... Just me tho... There are a bit more of my major mix guy bud-deees that have actually bought LE rigs to mix in although they have HD... but of course, guys here will debate this...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 PM

I flip-flop between LE & HD all the time with no issues. You just have to be sure you have the same plugs on both ends.

I had issues with the Trim Plug-Ins back in v6, but I haven't had any issues since!

If you don't have an opportunity to test out the systems, you could also mixdown splits as a worst-case-scenario/peace-of-mind.

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 AM

I've had a few wave Q plugins become distorted on my HD Rig, on the LE rig they were as clean as a whistle. ?? I had to use the trim plug to drop the level going to the plug-in to fix.

It might be handy to use the same version of protools.
I got caught out transferring Version 8 le to version 7.3 HD.
I had elastic audio on a few tracks which didn't transfer properly to 7.3.
There was an easy work around, by turning off elastic audio and committing the changes.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, it's good to hear that it works well. Plugin wise I'll probably be using much of the stock Digi stuff so I'm not too worried about that. I'm going to try getting into the room well in advance to test out as well.

Thanks again!
JR
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM

You would still need to take care with your gain staging.

As you noticed PTLE uses 32bit floating point, so it's possible to overcook things from HD's point of view.

Just be sensible about not running plugins too hot (LE plugs don't turn red if they clip) as this is where you will most likely have to start dropping levels when you open your session on the HD rig.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM

regarding q-10 distortion in LE vs HD -
there are occasions that I have distorted a q10 plug going from LE to HD - simple fix is to lower the input on the qt down -3dB for that area - then attenuate the volume graphing on your clip if necessary. has worked for me in the past.
good luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM

I'm doing exactly what you want to do for a new show. It works. I have a checklist of things to do in the transfer, and they basically amount to switching plug-ins back to RTAS that had been switched to TDM, and then TDM ran out of power, and those plug-ins were deactivated. Do some tests. You might be pleasantly surprised as I was. Mixes between the two systems may or may not cancel out all the way, and this has to do with latencies in the TDM mixer that don't exist in the LE mixer (my delays are small, so I don't run ADC on my TDM system). But A/Bing the mixed stems was indistinguishable.

Obviously, run all the exact same versions on both systems; OS, PT, plug-ins, etc....
Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I'm doing exactly what you want to do for a new show. It works. I have a checklist of things to do in the transfer, and they basically amount to switching plug-ins back to RTAS that had been switched to TDM, and then TDM ran out of power, and those plug-ins were deactivated. Do some tests. You might be pleasantly surprised as I was. Mixes between the two systems may or may not cancel out all the way, and this has to do with latencies in the TDM mixer that don't exist in the LE mixer (my delays are small, so I don't run ADC on my TDM system). But A/Bing the mixed stems was indistinguishable.

Obviously, run all the exact same versions on both systems; OS, PT, plug-ins, etc....
I've had the same experience. The mixes end up the same as far as I can tell. Just check your plugins and be careful about very hot levels as stated above (I don't think I've ever run into clipping though).
Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM

One thing to add: I learned all of my gain staging on old TDM systems, so even though I work in floating point-land in LE, I use my old habits and never have any surprises when switching to fixed point-land.

I still get dizzy when somebody pulls the level of an overloading bus down in Logic or PTLE and it removes the clipping. Makes no sense.