Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-24-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Multiple copies of plugins - delete?

Hello,

I seem to have acquired/created multiple copies of the same plugins. Most are in Avid/Plugins as expected, but other go to folders nested within, some more than once! (see attached screenshot). Not 100% sure how this happened, but is it safe to delete the duplicates?

Thank you.
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 04-24-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Multiple copies of plugins - delete?

Can you add the screen shot? And you might get better results if you post this question in the main Pro Tools subforums.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:47 AM

sorry, here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 13.14.56.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 04-24-2021, 01:58 PM

Its PROBABLY safe to delete, but I would not. I WOULD move duplicates to another folder(I would likely add a new folder to the desktop and call it "plugin dupes"). Then use PT for a week or so to make sure everything works correctly. After a few weeks, I would drop that folder in the trash(I always like to have a backup plan for when things go wrong). If any plugin fails to load, drag that one back into the plugins folder

One thing to keep in mind: Some that look like duplicates might actually be different versions for stereo, mono or dual mono.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-24-2021, 03:07 PM

haha! My thoughts too, thanks!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:55 AM

Hey Dave I installed a free plugin but installed others to entice to buy(wrapped plugins). I have no idea how to remove the ones that are not free ?

thank you.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Hey Dave I installed a free plugin but installed others to entice to buy(wrapped plugins). I have no idea how to remove the ones that are not free ?

thank you.
Not sure I understand, but most plugins can just be removed from the Plugins folder. If that doesn't work, I would uninstall the entire package that included the freebie, then re-install just the freebie. If none of this helps, what plugins are you having trouble with?

Old 06-20-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Its PROBABLY safe to delete, but I would not. I WOULD move duplicates to another folder(I would likely add a new folder to the desktop and call it "plugin dupes"). Then use PT for a week or so to make sure everything works correctly. After a few weeks, I would drop that folder in the trash(I always like to have a backup plan for when things go wrong). If any plugin fails to load, drag that one back into the plugins folder

One thing to keep in mind: Some that look like duplicates might actually be different versions for stereo, mono or dual mono.
Why not make use of the 'unused plugins' folder that Avid kindly provides us? That's what I do especially for something like IKMM's TRacks installer which installs every TRacks plugin when all you want is just one or two plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why not make use of the 'unused plugins' folder that Avid kindly provides us? That's what I do especially for something like IKMM's TRacks installer which installs every TRacks plugin when all you want is just one or two plugins.
I do use that folder sometimes. For temporary stuff, using a separate folder is easier IF the Plugins(unused) folder has stuff in it already(a separate folder avoids any confusion on what to move back). As for TRacks and the like, if I pull those out, they are not likely to go back in Remember, the cool thing about all this is; there's 4 ways to do something. The bad thing about all this; there's 4 ways to......

Old 06-20-2021, 11:56 AM

I also use mac color labels on plugins, like; one color for Avid basic plugs, one for 3rd party safe and tested, and so on. Makes it easier to spot newly installed, updated and so on.