Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Thanks Naughty G,

Also I hope the new LE version will have the Copy To Send option on
Multi Channel Beat Detective, Freeze (Just like in Cubase)

oh....and DEALY COMPENSATION !!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm not an LE user, but it seems to me I hear a lot of requests from LE guys for the software to do everything the full-fledged Pro Tools does. I'm not sure what precedent there is for them to expect this. Photoshop LE doesn't do everything Photoshop does, either.

Perhaps the feature gap between versions is so great that LE is primarily frustrating, but I believe the price point gap is equally great? In any case, I have a strong suspicion that seeing tons of new features in a product without a dramatic price point increase is unlikely. And if the current product's price/feature set is generating money, then forget it altogether.

I'm on the development team for some software whose parent company cares about quality first, profit second. The company is healthy, but not very big. They're never going to be very big, because they turn down opportunities to compromise the software and grab more market share every day. But the software is changing the game, set the bar, and has become the target of failed attempts at copying by all the mega-corporation competitors, who, once they find out how hard it is to actually do, abandon the idea and go back to trying to spruce up their increasingly obsolete products with gimmicks. It's not working, of course. Once people get a taste of true quality, they're loathe to give it up. And people do not have brand loyalty anymore. We'll change vendors, platforms, hell we'll trade up our cellphone carrier in a second if it's a better deal. The days of backing us into a corner so we're compelled to eat what we're given are over. You just can't have it both ways. Quantity and quality are mutually exclusive. You already know which one AVID has chosen, so my recommendation is to alter your expectations for the future. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

_Mike
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
HA You know its bad when I have to agree.
But I'm Positive and upbeat!
lol... my man...NEC PHone

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mverta View Post
I'm not an LE user, but it seems to me I hear a lot of requests from LE guys for the software to do everything the full-fledged Pro Tools does.
_Mike
I have been reading the DUC for quite a while and this is not my impression.
Care to give some examples of the type of requests you are talking about.
ADC, and more I/O are frequent requests, hardly taking LE up to full TDM.
Plus i dont think anyone expects anything for free.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM

I personally care less about the look of the DUC than I care about the future of 002/003, PT LE and Eleven Rack. The open letter is great and all but nowhere does it say that these hardwares and Pro Tools LE are safe, as far as being around in the near future.

Some might say that Eleven is bound to be safe as it was just released, but the skeptic in me says I have seen stranger things. In the television world I have seen TV shows with multiple millions of dollars invested, or shows that are pulling high ratings and making all kinds of $'s, cancelled..... *fingersnap*....just like that.

I'm not suggesting any kind of doom and gloom for LE et al, but it is not like that open letter from Avid was really informative or helpful. It was more like a tease without a happy ending.

I have been a very loyal Digi/Pro Tools user for quite a few years but I am considering pulling the trigger on Logic and starting to learn that software. I do not think it better than PT and I know it has it's own set of issues and quirks. I am feeling the need to cover my ass though.

What I am worried about is that my current Pro Tools/Digidesign setup is going to be phased out and that I am going to find myself having to pony up to get into the latest from Avid.

Personally my call will be that Pro Tools software will become a relatively expensive software that will run with other interfaces...a la Logic and others. Perhaps a $500-$800 software one can use with any interface. I would also expect 002 and 003 to be dropped.

Eleven Rack I don't know. I asked BLA if they were expecting to be releasing a mod for ER and they had looked at it extensively but will not be coming out with any modifications. They said there is nothing that they can do to to ER.

Hmmmm........?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjfontenette View Post
What does that mean for the customers that forked over 30K for expanded HD systems, with all this "DigiDesign" hardware? My guess is that we will be forced to shell out thousands of dollars more for the same hardware with a different name on it. These upgrade paths are simply unfair and getting very tiresome. I am fed up with this constant upgrading every 2-3 years when it means absolutely nothing in the end.

If you are doing records, it all gets played on systems that can't/won't represent the bit depth adequately, or will be compressed to mp3's which has been no friend to audiophiles or the industry in general.

Back in the day, if you bought an SSL or a Neve, or even something you loved and it was able to create the sound you were hearing, you stuck with it. There was no reason to go out and purchase the latest SSL, Neve or whatever just to keep up with an industry and a company that devalues it's own innovation only after a couple of years. Digi abandoned TDM and HD users when they started to sell LE systems, and I don't see them suddenly changing. This is about making HD customers spend another wad of cash for hardware with a different company brand on it. There had better be some fair exchange program announced with this new line of hardware that does not gouge loyal customers or you will lose many including myself, and I will be leading that charge to boycott using this gear. There are plenty of affordable alternatives, and I am sure many producers, musicians, Universities, etc. will see it just like I do.
Easy there donkey. Avid won't force you to do anything. I'm sure everything will still be supported still. Also, if your deal the dough, then that's on you.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Thumbs up Re: Digidesign Transformation

Bravo Avid!
The truth is, Digidesign was a not-so-great name. Please take no offense anyone, it's just an awful word to have to say or write. Wishing you all the best at Avid.
Your loyal customer,
Peter Y.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 AM

I am happy they said something. There was too much silence. Something is better than nothing.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
we discovered that most people identify more with the product names—such as Pro Tools®, VENUE, ICON—instead of the company name (actually, there are some people who thought the name of the company was Pro Tools, so go figure...).
com'on avid : who is gonna believe this crap ? is that your argument to change the name ?
personnaly i think avid as a name sucks (there is only an "e" ,missing" at the end of it)
what is all that ego matter around the names ? i might be wrong but this is how i see it.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjfontenette View Post
What does that mean for the customers that forked over 30K for expanded HD systems, with all this "DigiDesign" hardware? My guess is that we will be forced to shell out thousands of dollars more for the same hardware with a different name on it. These upgrade paths are simply unfair and getting very tiresome. I am fed up with this constant upgrading every 2-3 years when it means absolutely nothing in the end.

If you are doing records, it all gets played on systems that can't/won't represent the bit depth adequately, or will be compressed to mp3's which has been no friend to audiophiles or the industry in general.

Back in the day, if you bought an SSL or a Neve, or even something you loved and it was able to create the sound you were hearing, you stuck with it. There was no reason to go out and purchase the latest SSL, Neve or whatever just to keep up with an industry and a company that devalues it's own innovation only after a couple of years. Digi abandoned TDM and HD users when they started to sell LE systems, and I don't see them suddenly changing. This is about making HD customers spend another wad of cash for hardware with a different company brand on it. There had better be some fair exchange program announced with this new line of hardware that does not gouge loyal customers or you will lose many including myself, and I will be leading that charge to boycott using this gear. There are plenty of affordable alternatives, and I am sure many producers, musicians, Universities, etc. will see it just like I do.
First, noone forced you to upgrade. Or did?
SSL, Neve and other still want you to buy their flaghsip biggest console. So let's hate them too.
If someone has a big ssl or neve or whatever, it doesn' seem real to me that he/she did not spent a dollar on maintenance, ac, replacement parts, etc.