Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-02-2001, 06:39 PM

Default Re: praying for 6 slot at Mac expo

If I remember the 1/4 report..it didn't say there "would" be 6 slots in the new macs. I beleive it alluded to the new macs (whenever they come out...supposedly..macworld) with the UMA2 motherboard. The reference was..it will have 4x AGP, DDR ram and a bigger PCI bus bandwidth "pipe". Meaning..there is enough bandwidth there to run 6 slots..but no mention was given on whether or not there "would" be.

This was speculated on several rumor sites.
Whether or not the new UMA2 has 6 slots or not..the very fact that it has enough bandwidth for it means...less PCI bus too busy errors. And...it also means..a little more head room for your expansion chassis..etc.

Steve was quoted as saying he "missed the boat" on the whole CDrw thing..so..you can expect some sort of CDrw in the new macs.

But, don't get your hopes up for much faster cpu speed. I hear Moto is having trouble even getting 533's out in quantity. They are shooting for 600's but..my guess is..they won't make it...and..if they announce it..youll be waiting for it for months.

If I could think of an analogy for this new version of G4 cpu chip thats coming out ..I think..the best way to describe it would be the "yikes" model. It's meant as a stop gap until the "real" next gen G4's are slated..which is sometime in April..probably (July).

These are the chips with 2 altivec units on them..and the "e" designation. These will be significantly faster than the current ones..or..the "yikes" model.

In a very strange turn of events..you can expect some G3's in new imacs..etc..to be running at FASTER clock speeds than the top of the line G4..and a deluge of ad's explaining how mhz just doesn't really matter.

Go figure.

Anyway..I would expect it will take Digi a couple of months to "qualify" the new machines..and I would also expect there to be some bugs in this first run..meaning youll be running a few "rom" updates now and again.

QT 5 is scheduled for Macworld..and..still no word about this "wunder midi" that Apple has been working on since the demise of OMS.

I haven't seen ANYTHING or heard anything about updated audio/midi for macs since..well..I don't know when...mabey sometime around when the "stereo mini plug" was big news.

So, I guess that got left in the dust somewhere. Mabey well get a "new" sound control panel with Aqua themes.

Expect announcements from Nvidia at Macworld..also expect the first "soundblaster" for mac card released as well.

9.1 will be "announced"...and OS X will be demoed..again...\Slated release for OS X is Macworld Tokyo in late Feb.

OS 9.1 is not compatible with OS X beta..but..it will be the "final" version included with OS X release. Go figure. If your using OS X beta..best stick with OS 9.04 until OS X release comes out.

Thats the news from the front.

dcornutt
Old 01-02-2001, 07:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dcornutt:
I haven't seen ANYTHING or heard anything about updated audio/midi for macs since..well..I don't know when...mabey sometime around when the "stereo mini plug" was big news.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember those days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
[email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Long Live Nubus and TI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 01-03-2001, 12:12 AM

why is the 3 slot mac unacceptable, yet a 1 undo (that's command+z once!) pro tools has been tolerated for over 10 years??????

where are your priorities?????

pt5.1 where are you?
Old 01-03-2001, 09:20 AM

Apple sold MANY Quadra 950s, and I still have a couple chock full of SampleCell cards and old 442 systems. Heck, I even have a IIfx in the closet still! I think there certainly is room in the market for a pro-level Mac. The kicker would be to build it in a rack mount chassis. Also, it'be be nice not to have to get bounced between Apple-Magma-Digi tech support when trying to suss out a problem. A three way blame triangle leaves too much room for finger pointing.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:33 PM

My understanding is that the reason the Mix and mix plus cards were invented, way back when, was because Apple's new machines at the time (G3's) reduced the PCI slot count and Digi had to respond with the two-card system.
Old 01-03-2001, 02:58 PM
Avid

Hey Karen,
A real cheap improvement in my 9600 was a 10/100 ethernet card. I move a lot of files to and from servers. 10x faster is nice and they are only about $30.00. Though more DSP is nice too!
DS
Old 01-03-2001, 04:46 PM

Check out: http://www.maccentral.com/news/0101/03.macworld.shtml

The details of Apple's new products are coming into focus. I'm surprised that they seem to be moving away from dual processor machines for now. Perhaps there won't be as much pressure on Digidesign to make use of dual processing for the moment.

Evidently the new machines will have built-in CDRW drives. Hopefully these will be supported by Masterlist CD.

Lee Blaske