Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 07:07 PM

Default New Mac - M1 vs Mac Pro 2019

I think Darryl meant Monterey not Catalina.

I sometimes wish Apple used the numbering scheme as the primary reference to releases. Much harder to remember the sequential order of cats/locations as opposed to numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2022, 07:28 PM

Default Re: New Mac - M1 vs Mac Pro 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think Darryl meant Monterey not Catalina.

I sometimes wish Apple used the numbering scheme as the primary reference to releases. Much harder to remember the sequential order of cats/locations as opposed to numbers.

Ha. I sure did. And corrected the post. I'm in the SF Bay Area and my brain literally goes "the macOS version South of here..." and I often switch the wrong one around. Jumbled thoughts when I think macOS release names: Catalina: golf carts, bison, and yachts and lots of beautiful people. Monterey: great aquarium and the fantastic Fieldworks Brewery outdoor beer garden. Big Sur: beautiful drive down Highway 1, visiting Hearst Castle. Mavericks: eating fish and chips sitting watching the waves at Half Moon bay.

Intel has run out of names for processors, they all get so confusing, and while the Apple California Names are fun they are easy to mess up. Although I'd vote for a Death Valley release. It's smart of Apple to give nice appealing names to the OS because they want to push users like crazy to update and they don't confuse things with trying to over-name stuff like processor chips. Simple understandable ordering there.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:27 PM

Lots of that old intel code was ported over and works just fine on Big Sur. However, some programs work on Monterey without the plugs; some of which won’t have the code rewritten. The new chips are also incompatible with older hardware. No matter how you put it. When Apple pulls the plug, that’s it. No intel older chips. That’s the whole point of the rant. Get a life and catch up with the rest of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2022, 10:37 PM

Sorry for the "heated" comments.

I'm wrong enough said. When Apple makes major changes like this, it is a gamble moving forward. You are getting the next gen tech but basically are limited to everyone (software) to catchup and AVID is the slowest in the industry.

I had to make a choice. Either get a refurb intel for the same price, which will end up with and early EOD, or get in at the beginning with trade in options.
My MacBook Pro I was only able to get 8 gigs RAM when I got it. Never got the 2017-2019's as keyboard, GPU, screen issues so I held off.

It was the same way with the Power PC G5s. It took a good year before the Intels really worked well.

The Newest Intel Mac Pro specs out at like 54k. The 5,1 was 14k full. I have a feeling that the Mac Pro Silicon's will run around those price points when they come out.

I'll have at least an expensive beta testing machine that will eventually run circles around the rest.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Two people just explained to your Big Sur is not Rosetta 2. But here you go equating the two again. And Rosetta 2 is included in Monterey also as explained. And now you make the completely wrong claim that Intel code will be stuck on Big Sur. Lots of Intel apps runs fine on Monterey under Rosetta 2. If they did not the world would be screaming about problems. Again as explained before Pro Tools stuff has problems on Big Sur and I hope that will get fixed soon, and when Apple does that on Monterey on Intel it should also run fine under Monterey on Apple silicon (without native code support, but hopefully we get that as well soon).
I understood that, that Rosetta 2 would still be part of the OS for translating x86 code.

The growing pains are going to be what they are and will have to be dealt with as things get better.

By the time everything is working, I'll just give the one I am getting (doesn't arrive until mid Feb) to my GF and get a newer one when they come out.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:49 PM

To tell you the truth I never took it as heated. The reason I chimed in was because instead of making it seem like we’re here to help, a statement was used jokingly as if we were incurring our wrath. I’m trying to be helpful, not wronging. Yes, comments went in both directions, up to date vs making it work; both very informative. In so as much, this forum is meant to help, not harm. No wrath intended here at least from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2022, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post

The Newest Intel Mac Pro specs out at like 54k. The 5,1 was 14k full. I have a feeling that the Mac Pro Silicon's will run around those price points when they come out.

I'll have at least an expensive beta testing machine that will eventually run circles around the rest.
The Mac Pro 2019 is expensive, but the $54k price tag is misleading. That's with 1.5TB of Apple RAM. No one is buying that for music.

A 7.1 machine which will run 100+ tracks with all the plugins in the world is more like $10-15k.

The M1 machines are great, but you have to wait for things to work. Plenty of stuff works fine (translated through Rosetta or native) but some things don't.
Things that don't work, you just have to wait for the vendors to fix. It's not really an M1/M1Max/BigSur/Monterey/Rosetta question. It's a question of whether it works or not. If it doesn't, you have to wait until it does. The more complex your environment - the more plugin vendors, control surfaces, remote control, etc etc - you have, the more stuff needs fixing to work on the new platform.

Dominic
Old 01-13-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Where is this info at? I've heard all around how the firmware will not let you run older OS's but I've been able to boot into an older OS.

This video seems to show it is possible with DFU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-FsB2onSx0&t=468s
A 2021 14” or 16” M1/pro M1/Max MBP can only run Monterey 12.0 as the oldest macOS. This has been the case since the dawn of time with Apple machines. They can never run an OS older than when they were designed. The hardware support isn’t present in the older OS.

A 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 will not run an os older than 10.6.4 since that’s what it shipped with.

A brand new 13” M1 MBP, purchased today with Monterey 12.1 could be downgraded to Big Sur because that model originally shipped with big sur when released.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:01 PM

Yep.

It’s been pointed out numerous times in this thread.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:12 AM

I’ve decided to get a MP7,1 16-core.
Got a good price from a dealer on a used Mac with AppleCare until June 2023.
What’s the consensus around here regarding macOS versions, Pro Tools and that generation of Macs?

What would you recommend for a reliable system running the latest version of PT?
macOS 10.14 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina or maybe even Big Sur?

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4