Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Upgrading studio...Apogee Mini-Me vs. Metric Halo

Hey Everyone:

I'm considering getting some better conversion in my studio, and eventually bypassing my 002R and using it as the "world's biggest dongle." I know this is a common practice and I was wondering if anyone on this board can help me with their experience.

I'm considering (for budget and quality reasons) getting an Apogee Mini-Me, and using that as my preamp (until I can save for a better pre) and go into the 002 via s/pdif. However, I'm hearing good things about the Metric Halo ULN-2 unit and am wondering how it compares. I have an 828MKII which I use now as my general sound card and also for Logic Pro. I'd be willing to part company with it if the Metric halo was better, and it could be used both as a firewire card AND as an A-D-A going into the 002R. Another option is to go the Mini-Me route, and get a central station to handle the D-A.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Axiom 49
NI Komplete
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Upgrading studio...Apogee Mini-Me vs. Metric H

Quote:

I use the Mini-Me with an 002R.
The MM has a musically useful compression/ limiting circuit. Forgiving and transparent when not slammed.
The preamps are pretty good, nothing amazing, but have better definition and detail than the 002R.
Clocking from the MM seems to improve dimension and image of a mix* a fair bit.

*but not as much as Apogee's Big Ben.
It's truly astounding how much it clears up sonics, timing and overall apparent cohesion of audio.
Before I buy another mic, pre-amp or "warmth giving" plugin I will purchase the BB.
It's the single biggest improvement to digital audio multitracking I've heard in over a decade.
I've A/B'd against HD and LE system standard clocking... and I'm totally sold.

HTH Rob
that was quite helpful, Rob. i'm pretty convinced on the mini-me. the only drawback is it's 2-channels only, so if i wanted to send out stems to my board and come back in, i could only do it one at a time (which isn't the biggest problem in the world). I hear you on the Big Ben. That's probably 2 upgrades down the line for me, but as long as the mini-me is a step up from on-board 002R stuff, i'm sold. i like the idea that it can be used for a clock (to send 44.1 black for instance) to bypass the 002 clock.

thanks for your time.

CT
Axiom 49
NI Komplete