Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 AM

Default Replacing M-Box 1 for FireWire solution

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project that requires a lot of plugins and softsynths... Since I use a lot of tracks with a lot of plugins, I keep running into a -9136 error (CPU usage is holding off USB audio), while all settings are set to max, so I can't use any more.

I've been thinking of replacing my M-Box (first one, light blue) with a FireWire-based product (003 rack). Would that improve anything?

Specs:
MacbookPro 2.16 Ghz CoreDuo, 2 GB Ram
OSX 10.4.11
ProTools LE 7.4

I hope someone has some experience with this... or at least can tell me whether this is nonsense or not.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: Replacing M-Box 1 for FireWire solution

Can you give me an idea of how many audio tracks you have and which plug-ins you're using, exactly?

It's likely a FW interface will help, but I want to get an idea of how hard you're pushing this first...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM

I don't think it will make a difference. The error messages will probably be replaced by something else but I think they'll still be there. That's my experience at least, but I haven't done any proper testing to back it up with. Still, some details like Digitechsupt asked for could perhaps give us an indication.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 AM

I have the Mbox 1 and a Digi 002 Rack. I definitely get higher track counts and can use more plugins with the 002, but i does still throw the same errors eventually. I think my problem now is I am running on a 1.2 Ghz 12" ibook with only 768 Meg of RAM. The upgrading never ends.

For rock solid stability, I don't think Firewire can compete with the PCI card units I used to have, a Digi 001 and an Audiomedia III. Those things were bullet proof stable with very low latency.

You will get more tracks and plugin counts from the Digi 003 than the USB Mbox though; I have.

bilco
Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Well here it is... example for one of the songs...

18 mono audio tracks
2 stereo audio tracks
1 aux with Long Delay II

on ALL 18 mono tracks' inserts there's from top to bottom:
Compressor/Limiter Dyn 3
1 Band EQ 3
DeEsser Dyn 3
7 Band EQ 3

(so that's 18 x 4 = 72 + 1 delay = 73 plugins)

The CPU/RTAS meter (System Usage window) comes half way when not playing back. On playback, it varies between half and 3/4, and CPU (Elastic) comes out to max. 10%, even though I haven't used elastic audio...

Most of the things I'm currently working on however request Reason via ReWire, which is not always a pleasure as well... but hey, that's how they made their beats, so i just have to deal with it.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't really know what happens inside my M-Box... does it calculate anything at all? Therefore, would a faster connection like FireWire be of any service what so ever? Apart from the fact that a 003 is a much nicer and versatile device.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post
I have the Mbox 1 and a Digi 002 Rack. I definitely get higher track counts and can use more plugins with the 002, but i does still throw the same errors eventually. I think my problem now is I am running on a 1.2 Ghz 12" ibook with only 768 Meg of RAM. The upgrading never ends.

For rock solid stability, I don't think Firewire can compete with the PCI card units I used to have, a Digi 001 and an Audiomedia III. Those things were bullet proof stable with very low latency.

You will get more tracks and plugin counts from the Digi 003 than the USB Mbox though; I have.

bilco
Thanks for your response. However, I'm on a MacBook Pro, so i don't think it's possible to build in a PCI card. Like I said in the opening post, I use a 2.16 GHz coreduo with 2 GB ram... my computer cannot be upgraded further, so unfortunately, that is not an option. It should be pretty sufficient, in my eyes...

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:51 AM

Thomzz, are your sessions on an external firewire drive?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Thomzz, are your sessions on an external firewire drive?
In this case, they aren't. I recorded them on location, outside my studio and haven't copied them, because mixing doesn't always happen in my studio as well... these current sessions are on the local drive. Normally I do have my own sessions on an ext. drive, but then it still happens.

However, when I'm going to work with a 003 rack, I cannot do this anymore, because my Macbook Pro has only 1 FireWire port... let me know what you think!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomzzzzz View Post
However, when I'm going to work with a 003 rack, I cannot do this anymore, because my Macbook Pro has only 1 FireWire port... let me know what you think!
You can daisy chain them.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post

bilco
I never trusted USB for demanding work; video and audio. I used to have te 001 in my Mac B&W. Yes, that was rock solid. When I purchased the 003, FireWire was my first concern. How can a little wire be as reliable as a PCI card?

Well, I bought the 003 and have no regrets...yet. Someday, when I get my Mac Pro, I'll invest in a HD system. But for now, FireWire will suffice.

Will the 004 use FireWire 800?