Old 07-12-2021, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Hide folders but not tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
That's pretty much what I'm doing but it's a pain
I agree
Old 07-12-2021, 11:44 AM

Try as I describe in my first reply to this as that is the solution. It works exactly the same as a routing folder, but allows you to move and/or hide things at will. It takes a minute longer to setup initially(not an issue with session templates or Track Presets) but gives you what you are wishing for Another option is to use more VCA tracks(if you don't need to do plugin processing over a group of tracks)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I already know the answer to this, but I'm asking anyway in the hope someone has an idea that could work for me.

I love to use folders, especially for mixing, but when I'm writing I like to have instrument tracks stacked directly on top of each so I can see what's going on.

It would be great I there was a way to hide the folders but not the tracks in the folder.

I find myself moving tracks out of the folders when working then having to move them back at the end which is time consuming.
First to clarify if by "when I'm writing" you actually mean "when I'm recording ?

Seems to me if you're wanting your instrument tracks in different folders in the session,,,, but you want to be able to visually stack them in the edit window, when recording. That albee's suggestion about simply making the folder track the smallest micro size ,,,, is probably the simplest solution

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 07-13-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
First to clarify if by "when I'm writing" you actually mean "when I'm recording ?

Seems to me if you're wanting your instrument tracks in different folders in the session,,,, but you want to be able to visually stack them in the edit window, when recording. That albee's suggestion about simply making the folder track the smallest micro size ,,,, is probably the simplest solution
No, I absolutely do not mean recording, I mean writing as in composing, specifically with midi instruments.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
No, I absolutely do not mean recording, I mean writing as in composing, specifically with midi instruments.
Sorry I think we are not quite communicating fully or clearly .
I was speaking in the technical/engineering sense

Writing or Composing is a "musical" term describing creating music
Recording is a "technical" term describing how midi notes get to timeline .

Technically with midi instruments when "composing/writing" music (as far as I am aware) ,,, you either program in the midi notes by hand, or you "record" in midi notes with a keyboard or controller (which I assume is what you are talking about) unless you're composing midi in the score/notation feature first ?

In any case I still think that currently minimizing the folder tracks is the easiest solution

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 07-14-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:17 AM

I'd 1+ the resizing of folders to micro workflow. However, would creating window configurations for quick recall make it easier to navigate from one inst. group to other? I appreciate wanting the macro view, but at least you could navigate with a keystroke, or better yet, a custom shortcut button made with the Avid Control app to jump to what you needed.

Also, a quick note about Auxes VS Routing Folders just in case you've fastidiously crafted your I/O paths and work to preserve your bus menu hierarchy.

If you select a track and opt to move it to a new Routing Folder, a new bus path will be auto-generated = it will now appear in your I/O menu as a new bus: "Routing Folder Name"
E.g. moving a bass track to a new routing folder called "All Bass" will auto create an bus path called "All Bass."*

HOWEVER,

If you already have an Aux track receiving your basses with the routing the way you like it, you can then convert said Aux track to a routing folder which will preserve the routing you already had in place.

It's a small detail, but I hope this helps avoid any headaches. 🎚🔥