Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Apogee\'s Big Ben

Anybody using this product with an 002? I was thinking of picking one up, but after reading the review left about the Universal Audio 2 channel I am beginning to wonder if this is the best choice.

I have read others here have had great luck with the Lucid clocks, but I was wondering if anybody had tried both or all and could give me a leg up on their knowledge.

Thanks!!!

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Apogee\'s Big Ben

I think you would be better to buy a 2 channel AD (or AD/DA like the 2192) with a good clock built into the unit.

Clocks like the BB are used for syncing up multiple digital devices as well as improving the clock accuracy. If you are only gonna clock your 002 with it - you are missing out on some of the real intention of the unit.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:05 AM

Actually yes I do have multiple devices that I would like to sync, but really I am most concerned with my 002. Also having my 002 clocked to better timing on all inputs and outputs sounds more attractive to me than just getting 2x2.

There is the exception to the rule and that is if the 2192 is going to blow Apogee timing out of the galaxy then it might be worth the extra change. Keep in mind that the Apogee clock is about half the price.

What are we talking about?

Apogee 30% improvement
U-Audio 35% improvement

or is it more like...

Apogee 30% improvement
U-Audio 80% improvement

Just trying to get a clearer picture. (pun intended)

Old 05-16-2004, 06:39 AM

Keep in mind that when UA was developing the 2192 they were directly going after the Prism line of converters....not Apogees.

I had concerns about the clock in the 2192 becasue they really dont mention it that much. However, after hearing what the unit does to audio, my concerns have been erased.

My advice would be to get your hands on the units (if you can) and try them out.....

-S0nguy
Old 05-16-2004, 07:55 PM

Yeah getting my hands on the units would be nice, but it's just not an option at the moment. The 2192 is out of my price range today, but I am willing to wait to get it. If I don't need to wait then I would like to purchase the Apogee today. I was hoping for some opinions before I started throwing money down to take these babies home.

I was also wondering if I even needed to spend this much. I have heard that many here have had a lot of success with Lucid clocks.

Anyone?

Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I was also wondering if I even needed to spend this much. I have heard that many here have had a lot of success with Lucid clocks.

Anyone?

Dont know much about the Lucid clocks.....they can be had for less money certainly. However the strength of the 2192 lies in the conversion from A/D. Like I said before "butttttah"!

Also, why is getting your hands on these pieces a problem?

-S0nguy

Old 05-17-2004, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Well, I would think that taking equipment home for demo would mean that I would need to purchase it first or at least have the store authorize my card for the full amount (just an assumption). I can afford the Apogee, but can't afford the U-Audio unit at this time. As I said I am willing to wait but I would prefer not to wait on making the decision to wait.

If you know of another way to get this equipment in my studio for an A/B test let me know. I live in Atlanta and would love to spend next weekend putting these babies to the test.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I would think that taking equipment home for demo would mean that I would need to purchase it first or at least have the store authorize my card for the full amount (just an assumption). I can afford the Apogee, but can't afford the U-Audio unit at this time. As I said I am willing to wait but I would prefer not to wait on making the decision to wait.

If you know of another way to get this equipment in my studio for an A/B test let me know. I live in Atlanta and would love to spend next weekend putting these babies to the test.

Any local music store worth a damn will let you take gear to shoot it out. Let them know that you are serious about buying but won't until you test the gear. They should respect that. Also, a brief explanation of your desired result will help. Once they know you aren't some willy of the street wh owants to use it for a weekend session they should be cool. Guitar Center and chains like that might not but someone in Atlanta will. As a last resort, see if you can get approved for an in-store financing program....that way the will get their money if you like it. That also shows that you have the dough so they better break out the customer service skills.

In Nashville I use Corner Music. Those guys know that when I'm testing something it's because I am interested in buying it. Another music store here....Pro Audio Solutions (formerly MacMidiMusic) wouldnt let me take a Lavry unit out of the store so I told em to piss off and went to Corner and spent my $$$.

-S0nguy