Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 02:59 PM

Default HUI and PT 6.4

I would like to know for those that still use the HUI, is how it works with PT 6.4 and if it's
integration with PT still on point.

Before you say it, I know the Command8 is soon to be released, but I've always wanted the HUI
and may be able to get one for a steal.

I've always loved the look and layout of this unit, and it's integration with PT.

I noticed that on Nikki K's website that she uses one of these units, hopefully she'll
chime in on this.

Thanks,

FatBelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: HUI and PT 6.4

I'm using HUI mode with 6.4 and a Yamaha 01V96 - it's working perfectly with +6 sessions (which is all I pretty much use) but I did notice a difference in fader position vs screen fader position when I tried a VERY brief +12 test session. I'll have to try some more tests and get back to you on that. But in general, at +6, HUI emulation is still working fine.

Digidesign said on another thread that there was simply not enough engineering resources to properly test the HUI emulation this time around, and that's why they didn't put it in there automatically. The file you need is included with the 6.4 download; all you have to do is to move the file to the correct folder, set up your controller(s) in the PT software and you're good to go.

As far as long term HUI support, I have no idea what their plans are. But there's a LOT of HUI controllers out there. IU think it would be smart if they continued it. But I don't know either way, and can't promise anything.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 PM

Where's Nikki K?

I would like to know what she thinks, since I know she's worked with the HUI.

FatBelly Slim

Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM

nice...ignore the opinion of a guy with 2500 posts!!??

your title should've just been: HUI - only Nikki-K respond to this thread.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
nice...ignore the opinion of a guy with 2500 posts!!??

your title should've just been: HUI - only Nikki-K respond to this thread.

Post counts don't really mean a whole heck of a lot - except that the poster spent some time online and "showed up" a lot. A high post count doesn't automatically mean you know a lot, nor does a low post count mean you're clueless - just new or maybe you don't spend a lot of time online.

However, I wouldn't call myself clueless. I think most of my posts here (and on my forum, and others at www.musicplayer.com ) back me up a bit on that score.

And as far as Nikki, I certainly respect her POV, and enjoy reading her posts. I certainly didn't take it personally when Nikki's opinion was sought after I offered mine. But a little acknowledgement of my response would have been the polite thing IMO.

But in any event, thanks for sticking up for me reynep.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:52 PM

The HUI is working fine, the bump in the road came from DIGI having a blurb in the setup instructions in the original download but this has been corrected.
You can find several recent post about the HUI and HUI emulation working fine.
Just keep in mind the release of 6.4 was tied to the ICON's release which they had to have out (and functional) by NAB so DIGI couldn't get involved in anything that would cause them to get off schedule.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM

Phil my apologies. I definately value your opinion, apart from this forum your's is the one
that I really look to when I need answers.

I was seeking Nikki K's opinion because I know that she uses a HUI, and wasn't sure of who
else that did. I noticed that you stated that HUI emulation work fine with the O1V/96
which is good meaning that if I choose to go with another controller it may work well,
but man I really would like the HUI itself.

Again my apologies.

FatBelly Slim

Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 AM

Hi!
Uhoh...

lol!

I had a hUI, and then sold it and bought an 01V96.
Then, I sold that and am waiting for my COmmand8 to arrive.

Those I have spoken to say the HUI is working fine, nothing new.
As far as +12, the only difference to fader position would be when exceeding 0Db. Points between 0 and +12 would simply not be referenced correctly, but ONLY on a visual level of refernece to the printed numbers for scale. 002 will actually be the same experience, as the printed numbering is the same as HUI there.
With a Command8, with numbering reflecting +12 at full throw, sessions done at +6 would have +6 at full, even though the numbering will show +12.
Only way to win on this one is to have numbers above 0Db on both sides, one for +6, one for +12.
Personally, I rarely use any numbers printed on a surface for anything, except for 0 as ref point. Meters and software rep of actual fader positition (accuracy) are what I refer to. Half the time I dont even look at the zero for a fader, as holding alt and clicking returns to 0.

Since I cannot afford to grab a nice ICON system, and Pro Control is a bit expensive (when I can spend on things more benficial for me), Command8 was a logical choice.
I have read thru the manual several times now, and it really looks to be a winner.
Soon as mine arrives, I will be posting in the new Command8 section of the DUC on it.

I am a total PT/Digi junkie, so my view is skewed to begin with. But, this si the result of spending time with every sequencer/software DAW/etc out there, and is the result of finding only 2 so far that I feel totally at home with. PARIS was my first fav, but after being with PT for so long, I have it as #1. Naturally, a control surface created specifically for PT vs one that was created for being a "jack of all trades" will grab my attention. If it works as well as the manual would lead me to believe, I will have nothing but praise for it.

Some will find fault with the Command8.
Control Room section for one: Well, only thing missing I would liek to have seen is the ability to swap between two monitor sets easily. Resolution? Grab either a dedicated control room device, or simply use a seperate single monitor section, and simply mute one while using the other.
The CRS on the COmmand8 has mute and mono buttons. Awesome!
No surround...well, obvious answer here: Doing surround requires more than a simple knob to control the levels of the monitors. Fold down, individual mutes, bass management, etc. Glad they chose not to do it rather than do it half-azzed.

Flip mode for using plugins looks totally sweet, Focus button looks great, and for the Master Fader fethishists, a button bringing ALL master faders to be represented.
Lack of jog/shuttle wheel: Hmm- I can see this being a point. But, using the arrows shouldn't be all bad. I never used a jog/shuttle much anyway, mouse has done just fine.

I could go on, but what's the point?
My suggestion?
If wanting a nice desk to mix with, and for some extra pre's, ADC/DAC, and some decent outboard built in, grab an 01V96, and smile with the set of 16 faders for use like a HUI, and a very customizable user interface.
Working with only Pro Tools? Grab a Command8.
Working with Pro Tools mainly, but have other apps that would benefit from a surface? Check the Mackie Universal.
Same as latter, but want more I/O, or different "sound card?" Check the new Tascam. Looks like a Mackie Universal, but with firewire audio interface capabilities, raising the stakes over the Mackie for many wanting an "all in one" solution.
Keep in mind: When one combines so much in one box, if something fails, repair loses you ALL of those things.

Good luck! Waitin for my C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I will have to demo the Command8 and then make my choice.
I may get the HUI just to fulfill the desire I've had for it all this years, before I became
a PT man.

FatBelly Slim

Old 04-28-2004, 05:37 AM

BTW- HUI support is not dropped, or being dropped anytime soon.
A response to this by someone at Digi is in the Mac TDM section.
Basically, the only reason HUI support was not done this time round was due to them having to place internal resources on D-Control and COmmand8, in addition to the usual C24 and Pro Control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.