Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-22-2021, 08:32 PM

Default Plugins not working on only 2 tracks

This is a new one for me. Plugins are working on all tracks of a session. But there are two tracks where none of the plugins (which were previously working) have any impact at all.

If I disable them, make any changes, anything...No impact at all on the audio for these two tracks.

I can't observe any obvious settings differences for these two, and these tracks both had plugins previously working.

The plugins are active and not in bypass.

Any ideas on what's causing this or how to fix it? I've closed out of the session and reopened, and I've tried restarting the computer.

I'm on ProTools 2018.12.0, running Windows Home 10, on a Dell Desktop computer with the following specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Device ID AE398CA0-2FC9-4C96-BE9A-DC29317A1D86
Product ID 00325-95863-44418-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Old 06-22-2021, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Plugins not working on only 2 tracks

By the way, the plugins on the Master Track still do effect the audio on these two tracks.

But the plugins on the individual tracks are completely ineffective.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:08 AM

It would help if you told us what exact plugins aren't working.

QAPLA!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Sure. It's actually multiple ones.

Specifically, it's AirKillEQ, Channel Strip, Dyn3 Compressor/Limiter, Antares AutoTune, Dyn3 De-Esser.

Complicating matters further...It actually sounds like the original changes made to the audio by the plugins is still there. Ie. The audio is still EQ'd, still compressed, still Auto-Tuned. But if I try to make any changes, the audio is completely unresponsive to the changes. Mute, Bypass, nothing.

Also, in an attempt to just find a workaround, I inserted a second AirKillEQ plugin later in the chain, and that does impact the audio. So I can kind of get where I need to get, but I'd still like to know if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlonelystar View Post
Sure. It's actually multiple ones.

Specifically, it's AirKillEQ, Channel Strip, Dyn3 Compressor/Limiter, Antares AutoTune, Dyn3 De-Esser.

Complicating matters further...It actually sounds like the original changes made to the audio by the plugins is still there. Ie. The audio is still EQ'd, still compressed, still Auto-Tuned. But if I try to make any changes, the audio is completely unresponsive to the changes. Mute, Bypass, nothing.

Also, in an attempt to just find a workaround, I inserted a second AirKillEQ plugin later in the chain, and that does impact the audio. So I can kind of get where I need to get, but I'd still like to know if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this.
Did you make the plugins inactive by any chance?
Why not just move the audio to another track and delete the now empty track? Are you using mono plugins on a mono track and stereo plugins on a stereo track?

QAPLA!
Old 06-23-2021, 01:05 PM

I suspect either a routing issue or maybe there are duplicate tracks(maybe hidden) that make it seem like the plugins aren't working. Maybe open a blank session and use Import Session Data to bring in only the tracks that are in question to see what happens if they are all by themselves? I think you'll need to be a bit creative in troubleshooting as this is not an issue I have ever seen before

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 AM

Since you don't list Melodyne as being on the track, I am guessing that you were using Autotune in graphic mode? I haven't used Autotune in a long time., but if the current versions work anything like Melodyne, then they store the audio inside a cache (or temp folder) and playback directly from the plugin and not from the track. This really sounds like that, since the plugins before are seemingly "printed" into the audio but are not having an effect in real time, and the plugins after seem to be working normally. I might be totally wrong, but this is what it sounds like to me.