Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-26-2021, 11:13 PM

Default Buffers Size, Sample Rate & Sample Latency??

Is there a Chart that shows Sample Rate & Sample Latency?

I did a Search & didn’t find one? I Googled it & found a general Chart on Sweetwater for most DAWS.. But I’m hoping for something more specific.

Thanks,

Last edited by larsongs; 03-27-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Sample Rate & Sample Latency Chart

I’m using an upgraded mid 2012 MBP, ProTools 10 & Presonus 16.4.2 system.

I’m doing virtual recording Projects with several Musicians.. Each has different Gear.. Pro Tools, Logic & even GarageBand as well as Different Interfaces Computers & OS..

We all agreed to record & send each other Tracks at 128 Sample Rate..

The person who initiates the first Guide Track also sends the Click they used. Because the Tracks aren’t always in sync on each of our DAWS. we’re finding it a reoccurring issue we’re running into on almost every Project we do?

We’re all using 128 Sample Rate. The question that has arisen is, what is your Sample Latency rate? I can’t find it on my System or online or here...

Thanks
Old 03-27-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
128 Sample Rate
There is no such thing. You must be referring to native playback buffer. It has nothing to do with how the audio is aligned in session after you stop recording.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:55 PM

Yes. Apologies if I wasn’t clear. I meant Buffer Size - 128 Samples...

I’m doing virtual Recording Sessions with multiple Musicians & emailing Tracks to each other. We’re using Shared Folders in Google Drive.

if we’re all recording at the same Buffer Size & Sample Rate, even if we’re using different DAWS, should we be having latency issues wit each other’s Tracks?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Buffers Size, Sample Rate & Sample Latency??

I’ve done virtual recording with many Musicians around the Country with no issues.

I’m currently recording with 4 other guys. We agreed to record at Buffer rate 128 Samples.. WAV Files.

I don’t think we’re using a lot of plugins but I’m clarifying that to be sure. Maybe a little EQ, Compression & Reverb on Vocal in the recording stage.

We upload our Tracks to a Project Folder in Google Drive to share.

We start with a 4 Count on all songs. Generally I initiate the Songs with a Click, which I include as an Audio Track, a Guide Rhythm Guitar & Scratch Vocal.

The Drummer uploads the Tracks & tells me my Click Track isn’t in sync with his?

Any idea what’s going on?
Old 03-28-2021, 10:45 PM

If you are really so new to this, why not record that click track as audio and first share that track with everyone? That way everyone has sync
Old 03-29-2021, 10:17 AM

Not new to this.. been doing it for years.. I record with guys all over the Country without any issues..

But, with regard to this Group....

I do record an audio Track of my Click & send it to all... We all agree to record at same Buffer size 128 Sample rate.. And same BPM...

This Group consists of extremely talented Musicians. We Record Covers in the same Keys & BPM as the Records.. Sometimes we're trying to sound just like the Record, sometimes we embellish a bit.. But, usually stay pretty accurate..

I'd be happy to email you an MP3 or 2...

If we're all doing the same thing it doesn't seem like we should have latency issues.. Regadless whether I'm using Pro Tools & they're using Logic.. I've recorded with other guys with Logic with no issues..

I'm perplexed that the Audio Click Track i send doesn't sync with the Drummers???

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks..
Old 03-29-2021, 10:24 AM

You can set up a download if you wish me to take a look/listen but if you have your click track as audio then any tempo mapping or playback buffer has absolutely zero influence to what someone records while listening to that audio track. Only thing that may screw things up is sample rate mismatch. If some drummer is thinking he is playing to your click and has wrong sampling rate on session, then the recording will playback too slow or too fast on your system.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:00 PM

I’m looking for a simple work around.

It sounds like the idea of the initial person that begins the Project including an Audio Track of his Click Track along with his initial Tracks & everyone recording to that instead of their DAW’s Click would be the most simple.. And, of course, keeping the Audio Click Track as a Part of the Project for any future needs..

Any downside you can think of?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I’m looking for a simple work around.

It sounds like the idea of the initial person that begins the Project including an Audio Track of his Click Track along with his initial Tracks & everyone recording to that instead of their DAW’s Click would be the most simple.. And, of course, keeping the Audio Click Track as a Part of the Project for any future needs..

Any downside you can think of?

Thanks
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but how are you assuring all the tracks stay together in time? I would expect that as everyone contributes in this workflow, they all need provide audio files that start at time 0, or bar 1 beat 1. If everyone provides files that start at the same place, then everyone else can spot those files to the same starting point in their session and all will be good. In Pro Tools, there is the consolidation command that will let you consolidate everything on a track from your starting point to the end in one file.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control