Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility

Digidesign Compatibility Documents Change History

December 13, 2004 Revisions Consisted of the Following:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Now Qualified With Pro Tools TDM and LE Systems
  • Digidesign has completed qualification of Windows XP Service Pack 2 with all TDM and LE systems qualified with Pro Tools 6.7. If you are going to update to SP2, please read the following beforehand to help insure a smooth transition: Recommended Steps for Installing Windows XP SP2
Old 12-13-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility

What about v6.4.1? Will you be qualifying it or ignoring it?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:18 PM

How about it Digi? Are you or are you not going to qualify SP2 for us 6.4.1 users who are locked into that version until / unless we shell out the thousands of $$$ for an HD upgrade.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:46 PM

We will not be qualifying SP 2 with Pro Tools 6.4.1 (MIX).

Unofficially though, if you look at the compato docs, you'll notice that we qualify Pro Tools 6.4 with SP 2 on the Dell 670 and the HP xw8200. And Pro Tools 6.4.1 is the same basic code base as Pro Tools 6.4.

That being said, if you really need to be running SP 2, I'd say try it. If it's no good, you can easily revert to SP 1.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 02-01-2005, 07:29 AM

I love threads that start with "how bout it, digi?" Something very Jack Handy about them.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 AM

I installed Windows Service Pack 2 on my Digi 002 system with Pro Tools LE 6.1.1. This is a VERY bad idea if you care about Pro Tools. My computer crashed whenever I tried to do anything with Pro Tools. Too bad I also care about viruses and other Windows vulnerabilities. Service Pack 2 is important. To be secure, you also need hotfixes beyond SP2.

Good news, I upgraded to LE 6.4 with CS9 and seem to have things working again. This also required updating the firmware on my 002 rack.

I've seen several posts where people with new PCs that came with SP2 asked about removing SP2. As a computer guy, I'd advise against this. It depends how your vendor built your system, but very likely this will NOT revert you to SP1, but to no service packs at all. This would leave you with a very vulnerable system if you are connected to a LAN or the internet (which is all of us).

For $75 you can buy Pro Tools LE 6.7 if you want a supported environment. I am unimpressed with this support plan, but that seems to be our only choice.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Just keep in mind this is a TDM forum...
So your information might be helpful to LE users while TDMs act a bit different... ...