Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-20-2003, 06:32 PM

Default interesting MonsterCable, M.Jackson tidbits.

Monster: Bruce, you've been a longtime, exclusive Monster user on all your projects and have been passionate about advocating the benefits of using high performance cable. Was Michael's new disc Invincible recorded with Monster?

Bruce Swedien: Absolutely! In fact, every vocal of Michael's was recorded with Monster Cable. And, the entire album was mixed with Monster Cable. My mixing set up is pretty unique and is all wired up with Monster Cable. I even use Monster Cable for the wires from the SSL to the monitor amps.

Monster: Can you recall the first time you and Michael heard the Monster sonic difference?

Bruce Swedien: Well, Michael and I were both in the control room when we first evaluated Monster Cable with a connection between the console and the tape machine. Me, Michael, and Quincy Jones-all three of us were knocked out by the dramatically noticeable enhancement in sound quality, particularly in clarity and low end response. Now, I can't live without my Monster Cable!

Monster: You are certainly one of the elite in Michael Jackson's entourage, having the privilege of documenting every step of the creative process, as Michael makes it happen. What was a standout moment during the recording sessions this time?

Bruce Swedien: Everything with Michael is a stand out moment, but an absolutely gorgeous piece of music called "Speechless" was really an event. Michael sings the first 8 bars a cappella. At the end he closes it off a cappella. It was Michael's idea to add the acapulco parts. . We also had the Andre Crouch choir on it. I used my Neumann U-47 tube microphone that I bought new in 1956! No one has ever used it. Of course the signal path is the microphone through Monster Cable and direct to tape. The sound is just spectacular.

At first, we tried it a day or two, and the a capella just didn't work. His mood and his feeling…it just didn't work. With Michael, it's a deal where you don't just walk up to the mic and sing a piece of music and that's it. That's just not the way it works. We worked a couple of days on this particular thing and he called me in the evening and said, "Bruce it's not right, we have to do it again. But, he's a perfectionist

Monster: That seems to be the resounding sentiment from those who work with Michael.

Bruce Swedien: I've recorded everybody, as you can imagine- Nat Cole, Sarah Vaughn, Ella you name them, I've recorded them. Michael is without qualification one of the best musicians and vocalists I've ever recorded. And oh, he is a detailed man. For instance, when we record a vocal session, he brings in his vocal coach and warms up for
2 hours before he gets up in front of the mic! Yeah, for 1 or 2 takes he'll do that. I've worked with Michael for close to 25 years, and it's always been this way. He's definitely dedicated and he's a musician's musician. Another example, we'll be working away in the studio and all of the sudden I hear, "clank, clank, bang, scrape, "and he's out there moving the tube traps around in the room to change the acoustics!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: interesting MonsterCable, M.Jackson tidbits.

No offense to Bruces excellent work in the business, but he is the biggest endorsment whore in the country!!!!! Theres not one MIX magazine in the last 15 years where I havent seen his picture endorsing at least 3 products.
Monster Cables pays through the nose for celeberty endorsements. Hence the high prices!!!

Theres no difference with using Belden or Canare, and saving your money to buy more gear.

Let the flame war begin!!!!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:30 PM

Hey the celebrities he recorded over the years were making big bucks with endorsements and he just figured why not jump on the bandwagon.

And I REALLY am sure that he uses Monster cable with everyone he records
Old 08-20-2003, 10:54 PM

Hilarious. He has a U47 he bought new in the 50's - and has never used. Maybe he'd get more use out of it if he ran it through a pre-amp before tape.

"I used my Neumann U-47 tube microphone that I bought new in 1956! No one has ever used it. Of course the signal path is the microphone through Monster Cable and direct to tape. The sound is just spectacular."

I bet.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:47 AM

I know Bruce, and he must have ment to say that nobody ELSE has ever used those mics. Bruce never loans any of his equipment out for any reason. And everything he owns is in pristine condition and modified/maintained by him to stay perfect. If he uses Monster Cable, it's because he hears a difference. He also travels with his tube traps. He claims they allow him to alter or control any acousitcal space. And he's right about that, you know.

He may be an endorsement slut, but if he uses something, it's because he thinks it sounds great.

Bruce is one of the few people on the planet who has earned the title "golden ears". He is totally on another level from most of the rest of us.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:58 AM

Being an endorsement slut doesn't sound so bad either.

Dave
Old 08-22-2003, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Hilarious. He has a U47 he bought new in the 50's - and has never used. Maybe he'd get more use out of it if he ran it through a pre-amp before tape.

"I used my Neumann U-47 tube microphone that I bought new in 1956! No one has ever used it. Of course the signal path is the microphone through Monster Cable and direct to tape. The sound is just spectacular."

I bet.

I know Bruce and I think he ment to say that "No one ELSE has ever used" the microphone. He has never loaned his equipment out to any one else and never will. I have seen/ heard his collection, and it's as impressive as anyone elses that you'll ever see. All pristine and perfectly maintained, mostly by himself. The only thing more impressive than the gear itself is who has stood in front of it over the years! This guy has been doing incredible work for 35 or 40 YEARS. That's no accident. That guy is good.

If anyone deserves the title "Golden Ears", It's got to be Bruce Swedien.

I'm sure he makes money from the endorsements, but I'm also sure that he wouldn't say it sounded good if he didn't like it. He's just not wired that way. Sonic excellence is the most important thing for Bruce. He loves great equipment and won't settle for anything less than the best. Royer ribbon mics are generally accepted as great mics. If you want to control or alter the acoustics in a room, I can't think of a better way to do it than with Tube traps. Monster Cable has a sound to it as well, although I have to confess that I cracked up when I saw the cables with signal flow direction arrows printed on the cable. How does the copper know?

Anyway, that's my little stick-up-for-Bruce-rant. He certainly didn't need me to do it, but I feel better now.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I cracked up when I saw the cables with signal flow direction arrows printed on the cable. How does the copper know?
Audio is AC, not DC. Meaning the audio doesn't know, either.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 AM

Monster Cable is actually good cable, just heinously overpriced. I'll stick to my Canare, get the same results and save a bundle o' cash!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:24 AM

I think there's as much BS talked about cables as the next guy, but there are sometimes reasons for a cable to have a direction marked on it, such as when you lift the screen at the source end, for example.