Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 03-12-2021, 03:38 AM

Default What have the major S6 hardware revisions been?

I know there was a thread where Eddie was saying it was impossible to mention all the revisions that have happened in the S6 hardware due to how many components there are and different suppliers of internal parts, etc. but I'm curious about what the major changes have been.

I have used an S6 M40 installation in-studio that was one of the earlier (2015-ish) ones. I had some issues that I complained about to a reseller and they said that some of the things had been addressed in later versions (they said this in 2019).

For example:

- Buttons seemed unreliable, had to press too hard and seemed a bit wobbly. Reseller claimed the buttons (process module especially) had been redesigned later. True?

- MTM touch screen - the finish of the screen was very reflective, flickery, and laggy for my taste. Both reseller and a video on YouTube have said the MTM screen was upgraded somewhere along the line and is comparable to the S4 screen now. True?

- Display modules seemed pretty low quality (low contrast ratio) - I realize these are old TFT tech now and wouldn't be nearly as good as like an iPad retina screen but I was still struck with how low quality they seemed. Reseller did not know if those had been changed. I feel like recently Eddie said they were considering allowing iPads to be used as display modules which would be a huge upgrade but I understand not wanting to telegraph that much or people might not buy display modules.

- etc..

Anyway, I'm just curious about the major hardware revisions like that, not individual internal parts being changed to a different type - things that would be noticeable.

Also, is there a way to ensure that a reseller is selling through the latest revisions to you and not offloading older stock? (e.g. do the official resellers return old stock to Avid to be replaced with revised ones, or do you chance getting old stuff when purchasing..?)
Old 03-17-2021, 08:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: What have the major S6 hardware revisions been?

Yes - there have absolutely been improvements to the hardware since release. I would say the most significant efforts have been made - as you mentioned - improving the quality of the switches on all of the modules. It's my understanding that we have done exhaustive testing to ensure that new modules are far more robust than the earlier units where we saw failures.

Modules should have revision numbers on them appended to the serial number which will give you an idea of how old they might be.

Yes, there are multiple Master Modules. The following kbase describes how to identify the modules:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...er-Module-Type

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ