Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: STACKING Audiophile 2496 CARDS

I think we'd have to get digi and M-Audio's positions on this. OTOH I don't know why someone would get multiple 2496s instead of a used 1010 (which is running in the low 2-300 dollar range) or a 192 if the additional overhead is needed. It seems to me the ultimate interface here would be the FW 1814 (and I include the 002 when I say that). Could be that some group "unlocks" the capability to use multiple cards down the line as well.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 AM

You are right, destroy, in that it makes little sense to purchase two new 2496 cards but my dilemma is that I already own one and so could step into Protools for the purchase of the M-powered version of the software plus only one more 2496 (or the 192), possibly under $400 total. I have another multiple input output card that I use with other software (egosys waverterminal 192 M) so I'm not in the market for a FW 1814 or 002 or the like. However, if I'm going to use Protools M-powered in a client situation I need more than two analog ins and outs.

I would very much like to hear from Digi or M-Audio regarding my previous questions of multiple cards and how M-Powered PT handles them. Guess I'll just contact them directly rather than wait to see if they reply here.

Dave
Old 04-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Seems like a good idea. I hope you post what you find out so we all know. Still, it seems like a limitation of the LE series (that's deliberate) to only allow one interface at a time.

Edited to add: I forgot to ask a couple questions 1) is cash part of the equation? I can totally understand if it does but since you can get a 1010 used so cheaply these days it seems like the cost difference between that and a 192 or new 2496 isn't that great ($225 seems to be about the going rate around here) and if I'm understanding your issue it's one of needing more analog ins and outs. 2) If one of your other interfaces has a a/d converter couldn't you patch it into the digital ins on the 2496?

Old 11-13-2005, 10:18 AM

I think it will work. So much so that I'm not even considering calling M-audio or digi to find out. The reason I'm so confident is because I believe I understand how the M Audio Delta Control Panel works with dual cards and how it interacts with protools. Without mpowered, using just the m-audio cards as cards on your system when you add a second card you introduce a whole new set of inputs in the delta control panel patchbay. This allows you to select what you want to monitor/send to/from that card. However, the control panel/patchbay acts as just that. Protools sees the control panel/patchbay output. Protools doesn't actually interact with the physical card (this is my strong belief). So if the patchbay itself is designed to handle this extra load, and the member above (can't recall his name) already confirmed that protools sees the extra card as 1...then this confirms my thought. That protools sees the control panel/output of the control panel and nothing further. This being the case, it should work seamlessly. The only thing at question is whether or not protools would allow for more inputs to be "seen", and the member above already confirmed that it does.

My only question about the matter is the clocksource for multiple s/pdif inputs. Currently I have a mpc4000 and it provides source for the s/pdif out of it into my 2496. However, when I add a second card, I'm not sure if my mpc will remain as clocksource, or if the control panel will try to read clocksource from the 2nd card (for whatever reason). This would be bad because the 2nd s/pdif in will be coming from an audio source that does not provide clock. So if anyone has that answer please let me know

Thanks

Ant
Old 12-01-2005, 03:29 PM

have we had a confirmation on this at all yet i wouldnt mind getting another 2496 if i know its guna work they are goin stupidly cheap at the moment !