Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Waves and M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Rosetta is automatically running if the Mac receives Intel instructions. It is an Intel emulator that runs behind the scenes on a M1 Mac. Just load Protools as if you are on an Intel Mac and it will run. Rosetta2 is pretty seamless and works very well. You just won't see the performance that the M1 is capable of.
as I understand it latest protools doesn`t require rosetta that`s why it starts up without it and waves in protools does need rosetta and that`s why they don`t show up in protools? they do work in logic though.. because waves 13 seems to be M1 ready in logic
anyone using wavers with M1 protools 2021.7 who could give some insight tricks how to get it working? I have a WUP plan so my waves should be the latest version
Old 10-14-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstudios View Post
as I understand it latest protools doesn`t require rosetta that`s why it starts up without it
I'm not sure where you got that information from but it is simply wrong. Currently Protools 2021.7 does require Rosetta2 to work on an M1 based Mac. Many people are running Protools on an M1 Mac so Rosetta2 is working for the most part. Those that have Waves are able to run previous version also via Rosetta2. It seems that the Apple Silicon native version of Waves only works if your plugin host is also Apple Silicon native (Logic), hence it does not work with Protools still because Protools is not Apple Silicon native yet. Hopefully the next release of Protools will be Apple Silicon native, but keep in mind that first iterations may still have issues to iron out.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-14-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I'm not sure where you got that information from but it is simply wrong. Currently Protools 2021.7 does require Rosetta2 to work on an M1 based Mac. Many people are running Protools on an M1 Mac so Rosetta2 is working for the most part. Those that have Waves are able to run previous version also via Rosetta2. It seems that the Apple Silicon native version of Waves only works if your plugin host is also Apple Silicon native (Logic), hence it does not work with Protools still because Protools is not Apple Silicon native yet. Hopefully the next release of Protools will be Apple Silicon native, but keep in mind that first iterations may still have issues to iron out.
thank you very much that is very helpful!