Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Mac setup for Pro Tools...

Hey everyone...

I've been a PC user for eight years and have been curious about the Mac.

I've been considering getting a Mac as a second computer to run Pro Tools, (I need another computer at work), and I was curious if the Mac's run Pro Tools right out of the box or is there specific setup issues that need to be considered in order to run Pro Tools?

If I were to do it, I would be getting it with the dual boot with Windows XP as well.

Any other thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks So Much!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Mac setup for Pro Tools...

Hi ya,

I moved from PC to Mac late last year and it was pretty easy really. Compared to the considerable tweaking required for PCs to run Pro Tools well, Macs do pretty much just go out of the box. There's an article stuck at the top of the DUC that gives you a few tips on setup like disabling wireless, power saving etc, it's a short list though.

There seem to be some issues with some Mac models and certain interfaces (for example I think there's a Mac model that doesn't like the MBox2 being plugged into its left USB port) but once you've decided on a model, do some research and you'll be fine.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 PM

I switched to Mac after being a PC user for a number of years. I have to say that Pro Tools has been more stable on my Macs than any PC that I ever built. I've grown to have a very negative view towards the Windows registry which can make things a real pain if you use your studio machine for multiple situations. In the end, though, it's all about what you prefer.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 03-27-2008, 10:44 PM

I agree with both of the above posters.

Remember that the research you do, could save you money, time, and a lot of heartache.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 AM

Mac setup for Pro Tools...

1) Press 'power' on Mac.
2) Launch the Pro Tools application.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Hey Thanks!

I see you Guy's are using Mac laptops. Cool.

I'm not ready to go that route yet, If I do a Mac, I'd like to go with a desktop. I'm thinking of a Mac Pro 2.8 or something.

Do these work right out of the box with Pro Tools?

Also, You recommended doing some research......what kind of research do I need to do as far as a Mac and Pro Tools are concerned?

Thanks Guy's!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:29 PM

With some minor tweaking, yes. When I say minor tweaking, I mean optimizing your computer for PT (no screen saver/power saver active, no bluetooth, etc). Just turning that stuff off helps pro tools run it's best on your machine. Helpful research links are right at the top of this forum (troubleshooting, etc).

If you think of something else, you can always search the DUC. What ever topic you have a question about, may have already been covered.

If you can't find what you're looking for, or are frustrated with an issue, be sure to list what computer you're using, what OS X version you're on, what version of PT you are working with, and what steps you've taken to try and fix the issue (and how you arrived at the problem).

This forum is a wealth of information. It's also addicting.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM

Gunny T....which Mac Pro are you using?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM

I bought my Mac Pro in July. I was lucky to have Tiger installed on it. 3 Ghz 8 core, 8 GB RAM, dual displays, the works (at the time). I'm in debt still, but I'm happy.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 AM

I have an Intel 2.66 Dual Core and everything is mostly so painless on it. I am always amazed at how easy Apple makes everything. Yes you need to do a few things as mentioned above, info that can be found in the Troubleshooting thread at the top of the first page.

It is simple stuff though...takes a few minutes and you are done.

You will love the MacPro, desktop or laptop. Powerful computer and very stable. I still have Tiger on mine, I am trying Leopard on another Mac but so far I do not like it. Since it is not qualified I will not put it on my MacPro.

I used to use a 1.25Ghz G4 Dual Processor and I did the test where you record arm 32 tracks in Pro Tools and start adding Reverb plug in's....I would not get very far......this machine cranks them out.

Good luck.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)