Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Does lighbridge support more than 18IO with PTMP?

Quote:
downloaded from digi
Could I perhaps get a copy of your download? My download took a very very long time and after the install there was only digital distortion from any input signal I tried.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

hehe...it's not your download. The cs2 version is doing this. Go back to 7.3cs1.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
hehe...it's not your download. The cs2 version is doing this. Go back to 7.3cs1.
is it possible, that digi has corrupted the downloadable verisons to stop this "madness"
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM

ANOTHER WARNING!!!
I won't be using this un-supported version again. I did some 32 input test recordings for a few days on live gigs using a Yamaha M7CL and my LightBridge/Protools MP 7.3cs1 setup). Mostly it worked OK......fantastic...... but one of them appeared to record fine for over an hour - i/o looked good, waveforms got drawn...... but when I played the session back it was gibberish. Sounded like a seriously stuttering word clock and totally un-useable. Luckily it didn't matter as it was just a test - I didn't tell the band - but it would have been a total disaster IF it was important!!!

I'll be buying Logic soon for doing live recordings with the LightBridge. This version of protools cannot be trusted with 32ins.

I'll say once again DIGIDESIGN - RELEASE AN OFFICIAL M-POWERED "Music Production Toolkit" type upgrage that will playback 48 channels and support the 34ins on the fantastic M-Audio Profire Lightbridge.

THERE'S PLENTY OF ALTERNATIVES OUT THERE. WHY PISS US ALL OFF??? WE WILL ALL HAPPILY PAY YOU MONEY FOR IT YOU MAD COMPANY!!!!

Rant over.

Miles xxx
Old 02-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
ANOTHER WARNING!!!
I won't be using this un-supported version again. I did some 32 input test recordings for a few days on live gigs using a Yamaha M7CL and my LightBridge/Protools MP 7.3cs1 setup). Mostly it worked OK......fantastic...... but one of them appeared to record fine for over an hour - i/o looked good, waveforms got drawn...... but when I played the session back it was gibberish. Sounded like a seriously stuttering word clock and totally un-useable. Luckily it didn't matter as it was just a test - I didn't tell the band - but it would have been a total disaster IF it was important!!!

I'll be buying Logic soon for doing live recordings with the LightBridge. This version of protools cannot be trusted with 32ins.

I'll say once again DIGIDESIGN - RELEASE AN OFFICIAL M-POWERED "Music Production Toolkit" type upgrage that will playback 48 channels and support the 34ins on the fantastic M-Audio Profire Lightbridge.

THERE'S PLENTY OF ALTERNATIVES OUT THERE. WHY PISS US ALL OFF??? WE WILL ALL HAPPILY PAY YOU MONEY FOR IT YOU MAD COMPANY!!!!

Rant over.

Miles xxx
I am with you with that digi should do a new "music production toolkit" with 32 io's! But I can also tell you that the version I have on my installation disk (7.3.1) works fine. Now I think seriously that they have messed up the downloaded versions so there would be some nice panic. I am also running it with M7CL and sometimes with converters as well - no problems. Also done some serious "pro work" - audio for DVD (always use backup system as well), tracking at studios that have no PT available. The only problem was when I forgot to switch off sudden motion sensor and it stopped mid-live show as the vibration from kick was too much and MAC tought its falling. Fortunately this was pre-main show, when I was just testing the system out. Try your 7.3.1 and it will work fine, just check the other things you may have got wrong, they are mostlty all listed in the topic about troubleshooting.
One thing that is left out is you need to disable "firewire networking" under system preferences-> network -> show:network port configurations
Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM

OT but another sexy way to use M7CL, PT and Lightbridge is INSERTS & additional FX!
Create some aux inputs in PT and assign inputs-outputs. Put adat cards in Yamaha console and actvate insets on channels you like. You need to do some patching, but in result you will be able to use better regular or multiband compressors on channels that would benefit from that and add extra effects processors to the console that has only 4 FX built.
As you can automate parameters in PT you can move the faders in PT and plugin parameters as well and save the changes on timeline in different places, creating virtual regions with different plugin settings and fader levels. Then assign markers to these "regions" and by doing so you can do some "snapshot automation" when you jump form marker to another. Poor man's Venue system right there
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Fair enough. I know it works most of the time! I'd like it to work all of the time and be supported by Digidesign so I can legitimately complain if it doesn't do what it should.....
I just thought I'd let people know I've had a BAD EXPERIENCE with this setup and now I'll never really trust it again.

I feel Digidesign probably do test things really work more than most software/hardware companies and until there's official support we're in a non-upgradable dead end. I haven't installed a software update (OSX or any thing else) since I discovered the 32ins thing actually worked on PT7.3!

I'm not going to stop using Protools (I'm in a long tunnel with that..... my first system was 3.4!!!) but now Logic is so cheap, I'm going to check it out simply for live gig recording without the Nazis at Digidesign telling me I shouldn't be able to record more than 18 channels on a portable system which actually IS portable.

In 1999 I took a Mix Plus system round europe instead of a Front-Of-House desk, with a Mac 9600, Magma chassis and 4 Rorke SCSI drives with DDS3 backup to tape (10 hours backup time per 2 hour show) on the road and recorded and mixed a live gig (22 show tour) and a made 24 track recording. That was in the last century!!! And it never crashed..........

32ins via firewire on a powerbook, with the lightbridge, when all other DAW makers support it isn't much to ask.

Regards.

Miles. [email protected]
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 AM

Unfortunately, as digi has not stepped in even once in this thread, I doubt they have any plans doing the 32IO thing. Or anything regarding making their native systems better. They want touring pros to buy HD's for their recording needs and thats it.
So we need to support each other with issues and cannot ask any help from Digi...

Aboy Logic, I'm sure it is ok if you do live tracking by just pressing rec and save after your done, but would it replace PT as a tracking app? What I mean is I need an app that behaves just like PT, switches monitoring form palyback to live input when you punch in. Also I love the fact that protools starts recording in background if you push play even if you push quick punch in sometimes later. It's very good to be able search for better crossover point after the second take is done. Is this possible with Logic?

Regarding your issue, you said it sounded like wordclock thing? Maybe it was just that, maybe your Lightbridge was on internal clock by mistake? About updates, I have accepted them and I am running 10.4.11 now.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM

I believe for that you should write to Apple
RME DigiFace USB
Apogee Rosetta 200
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 PM

hi guys, i'm a newbee to this forum.
i need some help setting this up.
i just downgraded from 7.4 back to 7.3.1 (from my original disk).
i've got the light bridge , 2 octanes and on profire 2626 (in standalone mode).
i open pt and go to my input tap on my track but i'm only seeing 16 inputs.
how do i set this up for 24-32???
thanks guys.
by the way i'd greatly appreciate if someone can mail me a phone number so i can possibly set this up person to person over the phone.
my email is [email protected].
thanks again.
Rudy
FOCUSRITE 828
VINTECH X73
PTLE 8