Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 05:00 AM

Default single or dual new G4

Hi,
I've plan to buy a new G4 to work with digi001. Actually I use PC/win98 and the G4 is really new for me.
So,it was great if anybody can me explain wich G4 I must buy (Processor, HD,...)
thank you
Old 01-10-2001, 10:25 AM

Default Re: single or dual new G4

Megalobass, I hope this helps:
Processors:
Only single processor G4s are Digi approved right now. You won't want a Dual Processor system for a Digi001 right now.
They start at 400mhz. Which is a good amount, since they use a different type of processing (RISC) than the PC's do (CISC), so that is actually an incredibly powerful computer. Those 400mhz models retail for 1300 bucks. You can use your PCs monitor with it too. The newer G4s have a different system bus 133mhz vs 100mhz, so Digi hasn't given us the green light yet, but it's only a matter of a short period of time before they approve them. I think you'd be quite happy on the 400mhz model, though if you're looking to spend more, there are certainly faster G4s you can purchase.
Hard Drives and CD Burners
You have a lot of options here. Since you're only dealing with 24 tracks, a 7200 RPM IDE drive will suffice, though if you find it chokes too much, upgrading to an ultra wide SCSI drive might be a bit of a better option. You do not want to write audio to the drive your Operating System and other programs are on. You need an audio specific drive. Of if you're in a fix, you can get by using a partition of the main drive, which is not incredibly hard to set up, however, it is not a recommended solution. Another option to consider, which I myself have not tried, is firewire drives. From what I have heard, the 7200 RPM firewire drives are stable now. Also, they are very affordable. I use a 10,000 RPM ultra wide Glyph SCSI drive, on a dual channel ATTO card, but those are expensive, so really, it matters more what you want to spend on your system. You have a lot of flexibility here. Any Mac compatible CD burner will do, though speed and bandwidth are a factor. I'm really not a fan of USB drives. I have mine on SCSI also, though you could also use an internal, or a firewire drive.
RAM:
My personal recomendation: more than 256 megs. I currently run my machine with 320. The more RAM you have, the happier that machines is. You can get away with 192, but I found once I upgraded to 320, my machine was much more friendly about running that much audio.
That should cover most of your questions, hopefully. So long as you fall within those parameters, you should be good to go. Btw, one more tip. Keep an Extension Set which is EXCLUSIVELY for audio. Your Extension Sets are in your Control Pannels. You can create a duplicate of the original and configure it for your Audio setup. Then you'll have your original for any other functions of the computer.
Also: don't install Norton Utilities on your hard drive, run it off of the CD.
Btw, if this is too much information, consider getting the Mac from a retailer who will install and configure the Digi001 in the Mac for you. Some retailers will do configurations for free.

------------------
Dave Belazis
Conscious Productions
Conscious Studios
Old 01-10-2001, 01:13 PM

"Only single processor G4s are Digi approved right now. You won't want a Dual Processor system for a Digi001 right now."

Dual processors won't give you any extra power yet, but they ARE supported by digi.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/001g4agp.html

I'd recommend looking at the new G4's - an old 400 might be a little cheaper, but the new ones include an extra pci slot and ship with CDRW burners included. Just add some extra ram and another internal IDE drive (not from apple, shop around), and you'll be set.

Mike
Old 01-11-2001, 10:39 AM

Anyone know why Mac isn't selling the 667 Mhz or 733Mhz G4's as dual processors? Is this a "supply and demand" issue? Are they still committed to dual processor optimization for OS-X? Will they sell a few of these fast new G4s initially and then start putting in dual 667's and 733's?
Just some thoughts. Speculations welcome.
Old 01-11-2001, 10:52 AM

whats the reason for not installing norton on hard drive?
Dave, Conscious Structure
Old 01-11-2001, 04:14 PM

According to Steve Jobs' keynote address at Macworld in San Francisco, which I watched, dual processors will not be available right now on all models because CPUs are in short supply.

I don't believe it's a lack of demand.