Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 08:01 PM

Default analog console and tape emulators

I'm looking for a set of plug-ins that can give me the extra "warmth" of tube gear and the smooth compression of tape. I've seen two sets that I have in mind, but would like to hear from anyone who already owns the Analog Channel set frm McDSP and the MUY Valve and Tape plugs. There is a considerable price difference, so I'd like to know what's the verdict on price versus value. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: analog console and tape emulators

Also has anyone checked out the brand new "Phoenix" from Cranesong. If it's anything like the tape and tube process in Hedd192, it's a winner!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:51 PM

I'm also very curious about Phoenix; I'm still in love with McDSP and DUY so what more good can this plugin add??
Please tell me, I'm in love, but I don't have no ring on my finger
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 PM

I'll have to say, that after mixing a record with the desire to "warm up" a couple of the individual tracks I would try but never use the Analog Channel nor the DUY. I personally would not waste my money if I were you. They both seemed to muddy up the mids and would kill any stereo image on piano tracks. However, I did use the dist2 & dist3 on my Distressor, which was much more pleasing and clear. If you have been saving up for a good compressor take your AC/DUY budget and put it toward something like the Distressor, you wont regret it. My opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:32 PM

quote: "I would try but never use the Analog Channel nor the DUY. I personally would not waste my money if I were you. They both seemed to muddy up the mids and would kill any stereo image on piano tracks."

I can't say I've ever had these problems. You just have to use these plugins judiciously, and only for certain tracks. I personally could not live without them, though the Distressor is also good for many things. The Distressor, kinda' sucks on vocals, IMO, whereas DadTape can work wonders.

The Cranesong Phoenix is a DEFINITE winner. It took me all of 30 seconds to know I had to have it.
-but then, I also love DadTape and Analog Channel, so.....
Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 AM

"You just have to use these plugins judiciously, and only for certain tracks." Maybe I was using it wrong - but I would have to agree with "judiciously." It blows my mind that people strap it across the stereo mix and on individual tracks at the same time, way too much for me.

The Distessor, like anything on vocals, depends on the voice and the song. I absolutely loved it on a female vocalist that I recently produced, and I had, two channels of neve compression, an LA-2a and a new 1176 to choose from.

The Cranesong Phoenix looks interesting; I'll check it out.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 AM

so out of Analog Channel and the DUY stuff. Which is more flexible and sounds the best? That is the question...
Old 09-17-2003, 01:30 PM

The AC1 from Analog channel is worth the price alone. It use very little dsp, so you can strap one across every channel, and use it for additional "analog" gain with a result much like gaining on a analog console. I love it on every mix I do.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:39 PM

Don't forget Oxford Inflator. That doesn't just maximize volume. It fattens things up considerably.