Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Hey Digi: Interface likes/dislikes

These are things I wish I could change and hope to see in the future as far as the graphical interface goes:

1- White insert bars (like in DP) with no little square buttons to the left, too cluttered. Would be easier to read what is used for inserts.

2- White track name strips under faders would be easier to pull out of the all gray fog. Silver fader knobs would be a little classier too.

3- A zoom bar like Paris used would be cool as well. You could instantly zoom in and out by sliding a scroll bar to what ever degree you wanted instead of click, click, click... or programming zoom settings.

4- Please, what ever you do, don't make the waveforms three demensional like in paris and DP. Its much easier to make edits without that little bump up at the edge of regions.

These few things I wish I had every time I use PT. Basically the interface is great. The gray and white color scheme is easy on the eyes (except trying to pull out names on faders and inserts).

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm talking interface here, not features.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Hey Digi: Interface likes/dislikes

I'd love it if the region colouring applied to the inside of the region rather than just the 1 pixel border with the inside in white, it'd make it a hell of a lot easier to deal with a large session when you're zoomed out quite far.

I'd also love it if there was a "slice along grid" function so that if you select, for instance 4 bars with 16th notes selected as the grid, it would automatically split the selection into 64 regions, naming the regions as it goes.

Another thing dealing with regions is my usually messy region bin, wouldn't it be cool to be able to group regions into subfolders, maybe even grouping regions on various tracks into region sets so if you're as picky about drum editing as me you don't need to create a second session just for the drums. It's the only way I can leave any tracks left for the other submixes in a tune while leaving all the drum parts fully editable.

okay, so a few of those were a features not cosmetic changes but what the hell, no one's gonna listen anyway. or maybe Protools 6.0 will come out this year for OS X and every single (reasonable) feature anyone's ever requested will be added. well as long as it doesn't make protools bloated and complicated anyhow. I'm dreaming on that last bit by the way.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:17 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>3- A zoom bar like Paris used would be cool as well. You could instantly zoom in and out by sliding a scroll bar to what ever degree you wanted instead of click, click, click... or programming zoom settings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
IF you click and drag on the arrows , it IS a zoom slider, Like Paris.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:30 PM

Chompers,

I'm not following you. What arrows do you mean exactly? What I mean in Paris is, as you slide a scroll bar, all the tracks either squish or expand so you can see two tracks fill your screen or all of them. I don't see anything like that in the Manual.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chompers:

IF you click and drag on the arrows , it IS a zoom slider, Like Paris.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very cool! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Harbour Sounds