Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 07:38 PM

Default If you were me (Software synth OS9 part TWO)

If you recall I started a thread called 'software synth questions' about 2 months ago. I got lots of great advice and help and I ended up using Plugsound, which is a sample bank.

Now, if you were me, what would you buy? I have Mac powerbook G3. I have Pro Tools 5.2.2. So I am looking for a RTAS software synth. It seems like Plugsound has a couple of CD's I could buy that would work. However I was wondering if any of you knew about a RTAS workstation that would work with PT LE 5.2.2? The problem with the plugsound seems to be that you have to buy multiple discs to get all the sounds you want, for example they have one titled 'drums' and another called 'the synth collection' and I am sure I would be buying lots of sounds I don't want.

I know all about pluggo and sampletank and I'm not interested. I like Plugsound cause it was easy to load and set up. I am not interested in collecting sounds or searching for sounds. I just want to buy a disk, load it and go. Aside from the plugsound disk's are there any others? I really want a workstation with different sounds, especially dance and trance sounds. I also can not upgrade to another version of Pro Tools since I have a G3.

so my question is, if you were me and you had my gear, what RTAS synth or sample bank would you buy to make dance music? (remember - no pluggo or sampletank)

thanks again.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:33 AM

Default Re: If you were me (Software synth OS9 part TWO)

If I were you, and had your gear, i'd think about upgrading to a decent basic setup and buy some OSX compatible soft-synths.

Well, you DID ask....
Old 11-16-2004, 09:49 AM

Wouldn't you contact me at [email protected] ?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
If I were you, and had your gear, i'd think about upgrading to a decent basic setup and buy some OSX compatible soft-synths.

Well, you DID ask....
I have to agree with the above...

While there's nothing wrong with staying in OS9 if it works and allows you to write, in terms of getting better sounds from soft-synths, at the rate the quality is increasing, so is the CPU drain. Case in point, I just tried a demo of Arturia's Minimoog plugin. In a nutshell, suffice it to say that once you hear it, you'll never want to use Reason synths again, or any "this will do" device. This thing blew me away (and I'm one picky m*****f***er), same goes with Reaktor Sessions.

That said, I run a 1.25GHZ Powerbook with 1GB of RAM and believe it or not, it's still not powerful enough to smoothly run more than one instance of these synths. It's too bad, but that's how it goes. The better the sound, the more intensive on CPU. I'm actually thinking about selling the laptop and getting me a dual G5.

Not to say there isn't anything that sounds good for OS9, you might want to check www.kvr-vst.com for a listing of everything available, but be prepared they are fewer than ever, it's nearly all OSX or soon-to-be.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:38 AM

I hate that everytime I write a message here someone tells me to upgrade to a newer version of PT.

I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!! My computer will not run the new versions of PT. OK?????????? I don't have $1500 for a new computer and mine is fine.

Sorry but every single time I ask a question I am specific that it's a pt 5.2/OS9 question. I have no problems running PT either, I write songs on it all the time.

It looks like getting some plugsound disks is the best way to go for me if no one knows of a good 'workstation' type synth.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Not to say there isn't anything that sounds good for OS9, you might want to check www.kvr-vst.com for a listing of everything available, but be prepared they are fewer than ever, it's nearly all OSX or soon-to-be.
cough...

m'kay, you might want to look at the Novation V-Station, Crystal, uTonic, Albino, to name but a few. Are they OS9 compatible? I don't know, that's why I posted the link, which is the holy grail of all things VST. If all else fails, get Reason and some good samples (either buy them or find some online, there are tons) and call it a day. Come to think of it, Reason is probably the ticket and it's odd I haden't mentioned it earlier. If you like to tweak and get creative with your sound design, then it's for you. You can make Reason sound as dull as it's Factory Sounds or shine like a gem, it's all in how you use it.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 PM

thanks. I didn't click on the link because I noticed it said VST but I will look now.

However Reason won't work with Pro tools 5.2 - will it?

Smeone said they were able to control reason with pro tools 5.2 sequencer by switching some settings in their midi configuration - any idea if it's possible?

But yes Reason would be the perfect thing for what I want to do. I've also heard there are VST-RTAS converter software but I don't know anything about it.

the reason I liked plugsound was cause I loaded it and use it without any problems, it's a breeze.
all the other ones seem like such a headache and more effort than it's worth.

But if you know a way to use reason with pt 5.2 then I will try it.

thanks again.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM

HI,

in shortage of OS9 RTAS synths I´d consider some Hardware as Access Virus A or Clavia Nordlead 1 or Waldorf microQ lite or a Clavia Micro Modular.

they go pretty cheap on ebay are great synths and good to dich out some serious punches on the dance floor, plus they don´t steal the power from your dated G3 and will have less latency and can be controlled via MIDI CC, too

have you check http://www.refx.net already?

regs
Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 PM

Reason will work fine on it's own in OS9, it just won't work as a ReWire client as it does in PT 6/OSX. You can always start your tracks in Reason, render them as AIFF and export them into PT later for further processing, mixing, additional overdubs, etc.

Yes, there's a VST-RTAS adapter and a $#!tload of VST synths available, that's why I posted the link, but I'm not sure if the adapter works in OS9. Look into it at www.fxpansion.com

As for hardware, it's a good recomendation. Can't go wrong with a used NordLead, Novation Supernova or even K-Station, or Korg MS2000 (a monster, imo). Much more fun to play, too....
Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 PM

HI sorry the VST RTAS adapters are OS X only,

but you can use this:

http://www.defectiverecords.com/vstihost/index2.html

it let´s you connect VSTis with PT via DirectConnect in OS9

regs