Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-16-2022, 01:07 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

I tried to follow all the pages in this thread as I was interesting to buy a Mac studio. I finally did it (Mac studio m1 max 32gb 1TB) and I'm super happy with the performance. I was previously had a MacBook Pro 16" with i7 and the difference is huge. BUT I have seen a problem in a few sites about a high pitch noise from the fans. The first day I didn't hear anything, and even the fans I had to put my ears really close to hear them. although the second day I noticed this high pitch noise. It's not really loud but because its a noise around in 2,5khz it can be annoying if the room is really quite (Which is not all the time). So my question is has anyone else heard that noise?
Old 07-16-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
I tried to follow all the pages in this thread as I was interesting to buy a Mac studio. I finally did it (Mac studio m1 max 32gb 1TB) and I'm super happy with the performance. I was previously had a MacBook Pro 16" with i7 and the difference is huge. BUT I have seen a problem in a few sites about a high pitch noise from the fans. The first day I didn't hear anything, and even the fans I had to put my ears really close to hear them. although the second day I noticed this high pitch noise. It's not really loud but because its a noise around in 2,5khz it can be annoying if the room is really quite (Which is not all the time). So my question is has anyone else heard that noise?
FWIW, I don't hear that at all on my Ultra. There was some discussion about this on MacRumors. Contact Apple if it bugs you, they might help you or swap it out.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
FWIW, I don't hear that at all on my Ultra. There was some discussion about this on MacRumors. Contact Apple if it bugs you, they might help you or swap it out.
I'm thinking to do that, although I will have to stay without a machine for a month at least, because they don't have a stock in case of giving me another one. its not always annoying (or noticeable) but I'm thinking I paid all these money to have something that its fine and not thinking about that noise. And I don't know if its something that can be fixed with a future update
Old 07-16-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
FWIW, I don't hear that at all on my Ultra.
I heard others comment that this high pitched sounds seems to affect the Mac Studios with the M1Max processors only. The Mac Studios with the M1Ultra have a different cooling unit made of copper that does not seem to exhibit this sound.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-16-2022, 06:02 PM

No noise issues with my Mac Studio Max and it sits on top the desk under my screen.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 07-16-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaggelis.mak View Post
I'm thinking to do that, although I will have to stay without a machine for a month at least, because they don't have a stock in case of giving me another one. its not always annoying (or noticeable) but I'm thinking I paid all these money to have something that its fine and not thinking about that noise. And I don't know if its something that can be fixed with a future update
Repairs/exchanges sometimes take priority so perhaps it would be less than a month. If it were me, and the noise bothered me, I'd try to get Apple to expedite a swap. A new machine shouldn't be flawed from the get-go.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:05 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Repairs/exchanges sometimes take priority so perhaps it would be less than a month. If it were me, and the noise bothered me, I'd try to get Apple to expedite a swap. A new machine shouldn't be flawed from the get-go.
I've had my Ultra for a week now and not heard a peep. Haven't had to push it hard yet (RX is my metric), but for basic mixing it's been really quiet. If you're hearing yours, then you should definitely get in touch with Apple.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:19 PM

Mine's been whisper quiet as well [knocks on wood].

I feel bad for those who are having issues, and those about to get theirs who are wondering if they'll hear noise or not.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
I've had my Ultra for a week now and not heard a peep. Haven't had to push it hard yet (RX is my metric), but for basic mixing it's been really quiet. If you're hearing yours, then you should definitely get in touch with Apple.
Mine is also really quite, I can barely hear the fans even when I'm pushing it. So its not the fans my problem. even when its in 1300rpm you can hear sometimes a high frequency (around to 2.5khz) which is not really pleasant. Sometimes I have to put my head really close to hear that frequency but still I feel it shouldn't be there. I will try to upload a screenshot or a video to share it with you. And yeah maybe I will call the place that I bought it to see what they can do.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:05 AM

Here is a video of the sound. I put it in RX to be able to see exactly the frequency.

https://youtu.be/4CHlDFz297c