Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-07-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Volume Automation

When adjusting levels for all tracks simultaneously, is it possible to have volume automation on a track adjust proportionately? How so?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Volume Automation

You have two very excellent tools that you can use for this function. They are called your ears.

You may also want to consider, if you are not already doing so, setting up sub mixes (aux tracks) and writing automation.
Digi 002 6.1.1, OSX 10.2.8
DV ToolKit
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 AM

Not sure what you're referring to...

All I'm trying to do is raise the levels on all audio tracks... in proportion to each other. One of the tracks has volume automation on it and doesn't respond when I group all audio tracks to raise the levels. Once I release the fader, the track level drops back to its automated level.

Is there a way to raise the level on that track so that the automation rises in proportion with everthing else so that I don't have to adjust each breakpoint?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:04 AM

Make sure you have "ALL" selected in the groups bin. Then, click inside any track to highlight all of them. Click the display button on any track and select volume. Then use the trim tool to raise or lower the volume automation. Whatever you do to one track will be done to all of them -- proportionately. All automation breakpoints will be raised or lowered by delta values.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:25 AM

You can also change the write of automation so that it doesn't snap back to where it was. Read in the manual of the different automation writing methods. Some will overwrite, others will merge. So you can write automation and raise the faders of the group and they will raise and write in proportion.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 AM

Quote:
You can also change the write of automation so that it doesn't snap back to where it was. Read in the manual of the different automation writing methods. Some will overwrite, others will merge. So you can write automation and raise the faders of the group and they will raise and write in proportion.
What I outlined will not have the automation snapping back to where it was. Using the trim tool in the way I suggested will reset all automation breakpoints for whatever sections of whatever regions are outlined. In other words, lets say that between 24 tracks you've written 175 automation breakpoints. If you select all the tracks and click on ANY automation breakpoint with the trim tool and drag up or down, ALL the automation breakpoints (all 175 of them) will be raised or lowered by proportionate amounts. It is the same as literally clicking on each one independantly and dragging it up or down by a proportionate amount...except much much FASTER!!

Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 AM

No argument from me. I do it in Midi all the time. I guess I like playing with faders. even pretend ones.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-10-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Make sure you have "ALL" selected in the groups bin. Then, click inside any track to highlight all of them. Click the display button on any track and select volume. Then use the trim tool to raise or lower the volume automation. Whatever you do to one track will be done to all of them -- proportionately. All automation breakpoints will be raised or lowered by delta values.
This sounds like what I need. Thanks!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:05 AM

What I wish PT had is a function where you can group faders and have them change volumes together, but logarithmically. i.e. ones that are lower in volume will go up more as you increase the group.

Like fader groups on an SSL, for those who are familiar.

I realize you can bus the whole group to a stereo Aux and do it that way, but I think this option would be cool.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 AM

You can actually do that by creating a group for those faders. If you mean proportionate changing of automation breakpoints only on selected tracks, you can do that as well. Simply create a group, turn the "ALL" group off, click inside any track in the group to highlight all of them, choose "VOLUME" from the display button of any group in the track, and use the trim tool to adjust volume levels of those tracks. Tracks not in the group will be unaffected.

For example, I frequently have eight tracks for drums. I can create a drum group and do what I mentioned above, and only the drums will be affected. What's more, by using the selector, you can choose to only change sections in the timeline rather than entire tracks from beginning to end. In other words, in the drum example, if you think the drums in general sound too loud for about a twenty second segment of the song but are okay otherwise, you can use the trim tool to bring down just that twenty second segment -- and all of the changes you made to volume levels of any individual track will be brought down proportionately.