Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-21-2022, 06:20 AM

Default Problems with Pro Tools running on M1 Macs?

Since I started using my new Mac (M1 2020, Big Sur 11.6.4) I’ve been experiencing problems with Pro Tools running really slow and occasionally crashing.

Iv’e heard this might be due to Pro Tools not being fully compatible with the new Apple processors and that it needs run through a translator (Rosetta) in order to work.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Old 05-21-2022, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Problems with Pro Tools running on M1 Macs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillloyd View Post
Since I started using my new Mac (M1 2020, Big Sur 11.6.4) I’ve been experiencing problems with Pro Tools running really slow and occasionally crashing.

Iv’e heard this might be due to Pro Tools not being fully compatible with the new Apple processors and that it needs run through a translator (Rosetta) in order to work.

No problems here on M1. Perhaps provide some system details and Pro Tools version to assist you further.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillloyd View Post

I just went straight for Monterey and everything has worked, even before it was officially qualified.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:51 AM

If I check the activity monitor it says Pro Tools is running on Intel, not the Apple processor. I thought this could have something to do with it not being able to run properly.

Does anyone know if there is there's an update coming up eventually enabling Pro Tools to run directly on the apple processor without needing to be translated to intel?
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 AM

there are plenty of discussions on the DUC explaining how Pro Tools runs on Apple M1 machines.

Pro Tools currently runs under Rosetta on M1 Macs. This is an emulation of Intel architecture so that programs that are not coded for M1 natively can still run on these machines.

There is no Intel hardware in the M1 Macs. All the processors are Apple designed chips.

There is no timeframe for when Pro Tools will be M1 Native.

You shouldn't have any issues running Pro Tools 2021.12 or 2022.4 on M1 Machines unless you are trying to run it on a system with only 8GB Ram.

You have not provided any system OS information or Pro Tools information which makes it difficult to assess your issues.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:21 AM

There are many discussions already about all this, you could just search DUC (use google search with a site:duc.avid.com qualifier) instead of starting yet another thread about this.

If you are having problems on an M1 Mac you need to carefully troubleshoot what is going on and not assume it is because of Rosetta or anything else. Start with standard troubleshooting steps under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page, always suspect plugin compatibility issues, there is a known aux related performance bug, and I expect some users on Apple silicon have systems under-configured with memory. All discussed in great detail elsewhere.