Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-17-2022, 07:10 AM

Default macOS 12.4?

I know it's early but anyone try macOS 12.4?
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:39 AM

Default Re: macOS 12.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I know it's early but anyone try macOS 12.4?
Looks like a security update and some other bug fixes. I see no need until I hear from on high to update. Best guess, it might work fine, but too risky for me with my room for a test until I hear more.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Looks like a security update and some other bug fixes. I see no need until I hear from on high to update. Best guess, it might work fine, but too risky for me with my room for a test until I hear more.
Yeah, I would never even try on a production machine. I will probably try on my laptop in a day or so.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:44 AM

I had a little time and am not working on any projects at the moment so I decided to take the plunge. I was having a few kernel panics with 12.3.1 so was eager to try the update to macOS. The kernel panics are not Protools related as these happened with my computer sitting idle and Protools not loaded or running. I'm running Protools 2022.4 (Studio) on a 2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 with an Intel i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 1TB Internal SSD.

So far everything seems to work. I loaded several of my previous projects and they playback as expected. I loaded the sample session "Low Roar" and it plays fine.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-17-2022, 10:16 AM

I might give it a go. There have been a few annoying PT-related quirks lately and maybe an OS update will help.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
Yeah, I would never even try on a production machine. I will probably try on my laptop in a day or so.
Laptop is fine. Was sluggish until I did run Disk Utility, (
Disk First Aid showing all devices or volumes. in Safe Boot mode. Now it boots up much faster.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-17-2022, 10:45 AM

Updated a backup to a backup PT work station that is a MBP Max 64g/8tb to 12.4. Did the update because I am using an Apple studio display with this system and wanted to get the firmware update for the monitor. I have no interest in the fact that apple improved the camera quality of the monitor in this firmware update.I wanted to do the update because at one point the monitor went black for no reason but was OK after a restart. Certainly interesting times when you now keep track of what IOS version your monitor is using. All is working well enough with PT 22.4 to the point that I am now using this backup PT workstation more than my other 2 PT workstations. In other words, I will not be calling this setup a backup PT workstation anymore. This system even wakes up OK from "Sleep" with an Apollo 8 as the master interface and an Apollo twin being use for "Big Knob" volume control. I have not had any kernel panics that others have experienced when not doing sequenced power down and up's with their Universal Audio interfaces.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I might give it a go. There have been a few annoying PT-related quirks lately and maybe an OS update will help.
I'm off for another couple of weeks maybe? I might be the guinea pig and will let you know here. I can't see anything that would be a messy update.. Just looks like security and bug fixes. After I read Disk Utility it was much more responsive. Not sure why, but I have been doing that after every update in Safe Boot modes and looking at "Show All Devices" so I do all of them from the bottom up to the Top. Works for me-:)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimaSound View Post
Updated a backup to a backup PT work station that is a MBP Max 64g/8tb to 12.4. Did the update because I am using an Apple studio display with this system and wanted to get the firmware update for the monitor. I have no interest in the fact that apple improved the camera quality of the monitor in this firmware update.I wanted to do the update because at one point the monitor went black for no reason but was OK after a restart. Certainly interesting times when you now keep track of what IOS version your monitor is using. All is working well enough with PT 22.4 to the point that I am now using this backup PT workstation more than my other 2 PT workstations. In other words, I will not be calling this setup a backup PT workstation anymore. This system even wakes up OK from "Sleep" with an Apollo 8 as the master interface and an Apollo twin being use for "Big Knob" volume control. I have not had any kernel panics that others have experienced when not doing sequenced power down and up's with their Universal Audio interfaces.

I never us any sleep of any kind on a ProTools studio Mac, but maybe that works for you. Just display screensaver is all I have ever used.

G
Old 05-17-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
I never us any sleep of any kind on a ProTools studio Mac, but maybe that works for you. Just display screensaver is all I have ever used.

G
I should have been more clear that I power this system down every night and never use sleep either instead of shutting down... using sleep has never been a practice that has been recommended for a Protools studio Mac. I just found it interesting that this particular workstation constantly worked going in and out of sleep mode in testing it...trying to get it to kernel panic.