Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-14-2022, 08:35 PM

Default OSX vs Pro Tools vs License version hell

I am trying to get Pro Tools to work on OSX 10.12.6.

In my iLok License Manager it says I have a license for "Pro Tools HD 10/11/12 - non-upgrade plan"

I currently run Pro Tools 12.5.2 on a computer on OSX 10.11.6. In "Avid Link" on OSX 10.11.6 it says "Pro Tools | Ultimate" and has Pro Tools 12.5.2 installed.

On my OSX 10.12.6 computer, "Avid Application Manager" freezes and doesn't log in or populate.

I have downloaded both Pro Tools 12.5.2 and 12.6.0 to OSX 10.12.6. Pro Tools 12.6.0 says I don't have a license, despite my iLok being licensed for Pro Tools HD 10/11/12. Pro Tools 12.5.2, the .dmg doesn't open and Finder says "The following disk images couldn't be opened" "Pro_Tools_12_5_2_Mac_91790.dmg" "image not recognized".

Why doesn't Pro Tools 12.5.2 install on OSX 10.12.6? Why does Pro Tools 12.6.0 say I don't have a license?

Does "Pro Tools HD 10/11/12 - non-upgrade plan" include only up to Pro Tools 12.5.2 and not Pro Tools 12.6?

How do I get Pro Tools to run on OSX 10.12.6?

ty

Last edited by CameronAdair; 05-14-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:54 PM

Default Re: OSX vs Pro Tools vs License version hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronAdair View Post
I am trying to get Pro Tools to work on OSX 10.12.6.

In my iLok License Manager it says I have a license for "Pro Tools HD 10/11/12 - non-upgrade plan"

I currently run Pro Tools 12.5.2 on a computer on OSX 10.11.6. In "Avid Link" on OSX 10.11.6 it says "Pro Tools | Ultimate" and has Pro Tools 12.5.2 installed.

On my OSX 10.12.6 computer, "Avid Application Manager" freezes and doesn't log in or populate.
You need to stop wasting time with app manager, it's unreliable bloatware that was replaced with Avid Link, which is also unreliable bloatware. There is advice all over DUC to uninstall that bloatware, especially the older versions you will be running. You could have saved lots of time if you just searching the forum first.

None of this App Manager or Link software AFAIK ever correctly looked at licenses you own and let you know what you could install or run. Stop using this crap and and manage your system yourself. Downloads are in your Avid account or the download center and the Pro Tools compatibility table is where it's been for many many years.

Quote:
I have downloaded both Pro Tools 12.5.2 and 12.6.0 to OSX 10.12.6. Pro Tools 12.6.0 says I don't have a license, despite my iLok being licensed for Pro Tools HD 10/11/12.
That's because you *don't* have a license to Pro Tools 12.6 or later. The license you have will activate Pro Tools up to and including Pro Tools 12.5, Things changed in Pro Tools 12.6 and you would have had to be on a upgrade plan to get those updates. Also widely discussed on DUC in the past (this stuff is getting on many years old now), you can search for those past discussions.

What you can run is up to the last version of Pro Tools 12.5 and what macOS versions that is compatible with is as always give by the compatibility table: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Which says Pro Tools 12.5.2 is officially supported on Mavericks (10.9.5), Yosemite (10.10-10.10.5) and El Capitan (10.11-10.11.6). El Capitan was not a great release so I'd probably avoid that. So not officially supported on 10.12. Maybe it can run, maybe not, mac OS has been changing so much with so many issues introduced over the last few years I'd really be trying to stick to officially supported stuff.

Quote:
Pro Tools 12.5.2, the .dmg doesn't open and Finder says "The following disk images couldn't be opened" "Pro_Tools_12_5_2_Mac_91790.dmg" "image not recognized".
That is likely a whole separate issue. The dmg image is likely corrupt. You should be able to open the dmg. Try deleting it and downloading again. Make sure you have enough disk space and the whole file finishes downloading and the size is as expected. If you are still having problems and this is the version of the installer you really want/need then file an Avid support incident/talk to support.

Quote:
Why doesn't Pro Tools 12.5.2 install on OSX 10.12.6?
The dmg error you are getting has nothing to do with actually installing Pro Tools, it is not even getting to the Pro Tools installer, the dmg disk image is not even opening, and it should. But installing, or at least the dmg unpacking and the installer launching is one thing, and everything working and being officially supported is a totally different thing. And since Avid says Pro Tools 12.5.2 is not supported on OS X 10.12.6 I would not be wasting time even trying to install it.

Quote:
Why does Pro Tools 12.6.0 say I don't have a license?
Objection! Asked and answered.

Quote:
Does "Pro Tools HD 10/11/12 - non-upgrade plan" include only up to Pro Tools 12.5.2 and not Pro Tools 12.6?
Ding ding. Yes correct!

Quote:
How do I get Pro Tools to run on OSX 10.12.6?
You take advantage of the update reinstatement program running now to purchase a Pro Tools license update, and when you do that you might as well update to a later macOS version if you can and a more recent compatible Pro Tools version. Lots of improvements after Pro Tools 12, including significant improvements to AAX plugin processing, and many others. And with Macs going Apple Silicon you likely want to be on an update plan and not cut of and left to die on the Intel desert island.

Or you downgrade the operating system on the Mac to a version that is compatible with Pro Tools 12.5 or similar. Be careful and check what is the earliest versions of OS X your Mac can support.

If you are badly lost call up a good Avid reseller and talk to a sales rep, hopefully one that understands Pro Tools licensing, I'd recommend Vintage King. If their reps don't know all the answers I expect them to find you somebody who does for you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-14-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:25 PM

The “non-upgradeable” remark makes me think this is some kind of NFR license. Or specialty education license. I wouldn’t buy a “get update” license until you contact Avid first to make sure it’ll work.
This does not sound like a standard license (how did you come to obtain it?)

As for the dmg not opening, there was a change around that time on disk images and macOS. It may not be corrupt but it may be incompatible with that macOS version and later. Even Apple had to reissue some of their older installers due to this issue. I don’t know if Avid Download Center (in your my.avid account) has repackaged versions (or if it is just the old images.) But if you can’t open a newly downloaded version your options are (A) contact Avid and see if they can send you a new disk image or (B) open that disk image on older macOS that will open it and drag the installer to a usb stick to take to the computer you want it installed.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:30 PM

Oh yea, good point on the NFR license or whatever (not sure education was marked non upgradeable). Ya may be toast.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:30 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so one can own a Pro Tools 12 License that doesn't work for Pro Tools 12.6 and later. I wouldn't expect any less from Avid.

I downloaded the disk image for 12.5.2 twice from the "SFW DWNLD,PT HD 12" tab in the "My Products" tab in "My Account" and it doesn't open on OSX 10.11.6 or 10.12.6. I don't believe the disk image is corrupted and, if it is, it was provided corrupted from "My Account" from Avid's website twice.

I think the best follow up question here is "How do I get a perpetual license for any of the following versions?"
Old 05-15-2022, 01:01 PM

You have not answered the key question about what license you exactly have and where it was obtained.

If it was a standard retail/online purchased license you would upgrade as I've already pointed out by purchasing a license reinstatement. That's the only thing Avid or resellers can sell you. You can't purchase a license to a point release version.

And again, more questions you really need to take those offline with an Avid authorized reseller who can look at exactly what you have and sell you what you need, or let you know you can't upgrade.

And if you are SOL and can't use a reinstatement plan with whatever license you have then you might need to purchase a subscription, since there are no perpetual licenses sold any more but that's not going to let you run 12.6.x releases.

And if you do have an NFR or edu license or whatever and that is not upgradeable and you buy an upgrade for it all you'll get here is folks making fun of you after being warned. Call a sales rep.

Buying a used license and (or and not) buying a reinstatement to upgrade that license is another option, but know what you are doing/be careful there. Any purchase should to be a official transfer through Avid/iLok, not all licenses that were bundled with hardware can be transferred without a used hardware sale.

Or go "off the grid" set yourself up on an OS X version that supports 12.5 and keep it there forever.

Or give up on Pro Tools and buy any one of a number of great DAWs out there. Your choice.

---

Downloads are likely suffering from what BScout pointed out (he has better memory than me about that issue), but I'm not sure that's an issue now when you don't have license for a supported config to install. Again as we both said, contact Avid support if that issue is really affecting you.

Most of us won't have 12.5.x downloads in our My Products or Downloads section of Avid.com so can't even look at the file for you. If these dmg files show up for you in the download center (not my products) where they list MD5 values then you can compare the MD5 hashes of the file after download to confirm you are getting to bits Avid put there.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-15-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:11 PM

You can open a support ticket for purchasing/licenses from inside your Avid account. They can see what licenses you have in iLok. Post your case number here in this thread and hopefully one of the Avid mods can look in on it (jeffro or Chris)

Then you'll get concrete answers for an update path.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You can open a support ticket for purchasing/licenses from inside your Avid account. They can see what licenses you have in iLok. Post your case number here in this thread and hopefully one of the Avid mods can look in on it (jeffro or Chris)

Then you'll get concrete answers for an update path.
I'm not sure if somebody with an expired support/update plan can open a ticket or not, even for a licensing issue. I thought they could but with a recent experience I could not see how to do that. And ouch some of the support links in My Account are just broken. Not good.

Anyhow if you can't maybe you have to purchase an ASC, I'd just call that sales rep, or maybe Jeffro can open a support case for you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-15-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:16 PM

Seems counterintuitive to restrict licensing/purchasing from the ASC but, well, Avid...

Definitely wouldn't "buy" ASC access for this.

In my Download Center, I could go to 12.6.0. I downloaded the image and it opened. This is on macOS 10.13.6. That's my earliest version 12. (Then I go back to version 11 and 10.) Since 12.5 isn't in the Download Center, I'm guessing it is only available with accounts stuck at that version (and therefore, most likely, the images were never repacked since it isn't available to the general user group.)

I checked my personal software repository but I didn't keep 12.5. Only 11.3.2 and 12.8.1. So I don't have a way to extract an installer for you (there's a complicated way to do that for the ones that don't open on modern macOS by using Windows, MacDrive, and a network shared folder like a NAS or SAN)
Old 05-15-2022, 03:00 PM

Sorry, how do you get a license for any of the the following versions

or find a "repackaged" version of 12.5.2?

To do either of these I see "You can open a support ticket for purchasing/licenses from inside your Avid account." but it is not clear how to do that. This is with purchasing an "Avid Support Code"? I see "Contact Technical Support by Phone". Is that what you are referring to?

I can maybe get a "reinstatement code" this way but its not clear if I can do that based of the type of my current license or the fact that "no perpetual licenses [are] sold any more" and Avid doesn't make this information available anywhere so no one actually knows and so I need to open a support ticket (see above paragraph).

So basically no one knows and I need to ask Avid. I've called them once ever, which was the first and only time, because they just asked me for money. Is there an email address? How do I open a "support ticket" and ask Avid?

Thanks

Last edited by CameronAdair; 05-15-2022 at 03:34 PM.