Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-23-2022, 02:23 PM

Default iPad as second monitor for video when composing?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad to use as a second monitor for the Pro Tools video window when composing while traveling. Has any tried this with Sidecar? Is it as easy as just dragging the Pro Tools video window to the iPad?

Just want to make sure it will actually work before I go and purchase an iPad.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Re: iPad as second monitor for video when composing?

I tried it when the option of using an iPad as a 2nd monitor first appeared in the OS, and it worked, though video wasn't perfectly smooth.

If I get some time this weekend I'll give it another shot and post the results. FWIW I'm on the latest versions of PT and MacOS and iOS.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:55 PM

Save the money and get one of those compact USB-C bus powered displays like the Asus Zenscreen.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
Save the money and get one of those compact USB-C bus powered displays like the Asus Zenscreen.
I second this. I recently purchased a 15.7” portable monitor that works great as a second screen. I found that using sidecar works well for a static screen, a connected screen works better for viewing video in Pro Tools and is 1/4 of the price of an iPad.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad to use as a second monitor for the Pro Tools video window when composing while traveling. Has any tried this with Sidecar? Is it as easy as just dragging the Pro Tools video window to the iPad?

Just want to make sure it will actually work before I go and purchase an iPad.

Thanks!
It works perfectly for me. I do have an iPad Pro and plug it in via USB-C and use Sidecar. I've found using WIFI is a little less stable...even right next to the computer. When you launch Sidecar, the iPad just shows as a second monitor and yes, just drag video over. Works really well.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
It works perfectly for me. I do have an iPad Pro and plug it in via USB-C and use Sidecar. I've found using WIFI is a little less stable...even right next to the computer. When you launch Sidecar, the iPad just shows as a second monitor and yes, just drag video over. Works really well.
Thank you for confirming! That's what I was hoping for. The iPad seems like a great solution for travel because I like keeping the video on a separate screen.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I second this. I recently purchased a 15.7” portable monitor that works great as a second screen. I found that using sidecar works well for a static screen, a connected screen works better for viewing video in Pro Tools and is 1/4 of the price of an iPad.
Thanks for the reply! I was looking into some iPad-like options from other companies. I don't mind going non-Apple. I just figured that the iPad would be more reliable. I'm mainly looking for an option that is light and compact for travel use.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:54 AM

I also bought this magnetic iPad stand. Works well for me.

https://www.lululook.com/products/magnetic-ipad-stand
Old 04-26-2022, 11:44 PM

I recently ran a three screen mobile setup using an iPad Pro via Sidecar as well as a portable 17" USB C monitor with my M1 13" MacBook Pro and it worked really well. I had the PT Edit window on the 17", video on the MBP and plugs, script, meters etc on the iPad. When I was testing the system out though I had both the meters and video windows running on the iPad and was pleasantly surprised by how good the sync and response was. I think an ipad would probably work quite well although a portable monitor is a cheaper solution.