Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-13-2022, 11:20 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

I see those pesky spikes from time to time and often find the fix in a plugin update, or trashing PT Prefs and creating a new file, or (I know this is an old fix that some will argue with but it's still effective, occasionally, in my studio) zapping the NVRAM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM

From what I've read, nvram is reset at startup with m1 macs.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:23 PM

I have tried a ton of things prior to contacting Avid and Sonnet then I ended up retrying all their recommendations(most of them I had already tried). After doing a complete SSD reformat and reinstall of Monterey I figured the issue might be a little deeper than I could troubleshoot. Monterey, Protools, the HD driver, and iLok was the only software installed but the issue was still happening. I do remember getting one Digi-link License missing error a while ago but it was installed and activated on my iLok3. That error never popped up since but the CPU spikes started around that time. The only thing that seems to resolves my issue is to use another playback device other than the HD Native card. I did not have another thunderbolt device with a 2nd port to try the work-around that was mentioned in another thread. Basically connect another TB device in between the Mac Studio and the Echo III.

https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Yep!

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 05-13-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yes!

Maybe one of the clearer write ups on NVRAM and SMC on the Apple silicon Macs is here: https://macexpertguide.com/how-to-reset-nvram-and-smc/

I hope these changes really do help avoid NVRAM corruption causing problems.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I do remember getting one Digi-link License missing error a while ago but it was installed and activated on my iLok3. That error never popped up since but the CPU spikes started around that time.
That might be key to the issue. Hardware communication. Did you mention it to Avid?
Old 05-13-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Good to know. It does seem like a silly thing to deal with after all these decades.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That might be key to the issue. Hardware communication. Did you mention it to Avid?

I did mention it and that error was on 2021.12 and happened only once. It's still a bit weird to me because it's the first time I've seen that one in the 6 or so years I've used the license. And I have also been to several different studios in that time frame. With 2022.4 the license is now included inside the Protools software. The CPU spike happens on both versions of Protools though.
I was actually surprised that they "qualified" the Mac Studio so quickly and I don't mean that in a bad way. I just figured that they would do maybe 2 months or so of testing before hand.

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 05-14-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Hey Phil. Would you mind trying the aux send test I posted on the other subform and letting me know how it performs for you?
Sorry it took so long to get to this. I've been really sick.

I gave it a try.

With one aux send enabled on all tracks, the PT CPU Total meter fluctuated between 25-28%. Each aux send that I enabled increased the total CPU use. 2 = 35-39%, 3 = 47-50%, 4 = 55-60%, 5 = 64-71%, 6 = 70-76%, 7 = 75-84%, and 8 = 81-86%.

It still played back for me with nine of the aux sends enabled on all tracks, with the PT CPU Total meter fluctuating between 87-96%. When I tried playing back with all ten aux sends enabled, it instantly gave me an AAE 9173 (ran out of CPU) error.

Very interesting and illuminating test. Thanks for setting it up!

Quote:
And please, please, please be vocal to Avid about getting these Silicon-related problems fixed ASAP.
I will, but I don't know how much good, if any, it will do. From my current understanding and perspective, Avid appears to be far more interested in shuffling features between versions, renaming the software, setting up new product tiers, and trying to push everyone towards subscriptions so they can keep their investors happy rather than providing native Apple Silicon compatibility, bug fixes, and value-added new features to their software so they can keep their user base happy. YMMV.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:09 PM

A couple more notes. I was running the test with a 32 sample buffer setting. I am currently running macOS 12.3.1 and PT Ultimate 2022.4 on my 32GB/1TB M1 Max Mac Studio. I ran the session from the system drive.

While I did refer to the PT CPU meter in my previous post, I also monitored the CPU use with iStatistica Pro and Activity Monitor, and did not see any significant differences in the CPU use being reported by any of them.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:27 AM

I managed to get all the plugins I was using on a recent project (5.1 music mix) installed on Pro Tools 2022.4 on my new Mac Studio Ultimate (20c cpu, 48c gpu, 64GB ram, 1TB disk). I build kind of a super template when I mix each score which contains my bussing and auxes and most all of the composer's tracks I have seen on any cue, so next time the same track appears in a later cue, I have something to match it to in this template.

It's 48k with a lot of routing some aux sends and some channels with chains of a few plugins. I run a core-audio interface at 1024 buffer. Old computer is Catalina, new obviously Monterey. Old computer was PT 2021.12.

This template made the Pro Tools CPU overall meters sit at about 79% on my 10-core 2013 Mac Pro (yes, Frankenstein CPU mod which as you would expect performs right in between the 8-core and 12-core. On the new Mac Studio about 42%.

I have yet to install Eucon on the new machine, but it was just parked so don't think that would make any difference. More to come, maybe, but seems fairly promising.