Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-08-2022, 01:37 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

Looks good, but I really want to keep my RayDAT. I'd love a single chip version in same size case with a single PCIe slot instead haha, one can dream.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-08-2022, 02:54 PM

I bought one this morning. I have two M Pro 5.1s running now. Pro TOols HDX on the main one, Vienna Ensemble Pro on the other. Both High Sierra. Both 48 gigs Ram, both cranky as an old drunk on Monday morning. I bought the Ultra version with max RAM, 2TB HD. Doesn't deliver till mid April here in Canada. Currently sorting out PCI chassis, which I guess would be the Magma EB3T Express Box. It seems to work with everything. Loads to learn, but it would be so wonderful to dispose of VEP. Does anyone here have the Magma Express box? I'd like to load one of the other slots with an NVMe card with four 2 TB SSD's for virtual instruments. Sonnet looks great but I'm not sure it's compatible with the Magma box. I wrote Sonnet to find out.
I realize Monterey isn't supported yet. Obviously I'll keep my current sputtering and wheezing Millennium Falcon running with more chewing gum, gnashing of teeth and the occasional whack to the dashboard.
As far as Thunderbolt cable length, frankly, I would glue the monitor(s) to my forehead if it meant no more crashes or random oddities. And to be able to run my VI's without VEP and without trepidation. And dream of dreams? No more 9171s.
Also, from what I've heard, the Apple Silicon machines don't need anywhere near as much RAM as the old Intel guys do. I have big Spitfire libraries, Arturia, Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian etc.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-08-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
the major issue I see is the TB4 cable length spec of 2m max.
how are people supposed to hook up displays, CPU, and audio interface in anything other than a desktop situation ?
there doesn't even seem to be a 3rd-party solution.
are people with this need of racked audio interface/computer with a remote display/keyboard simply just gonna ignore the TB4 displays and go with HDMI instead ?
it seems to defeat the whole point of getting an integrated Apple CPU/Display system.
Well it seems we have a 3 meter incoming soon… but is pricey!

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/08/apple...-in-the-works/
Old 03-08-2022, 04:28 PM

Well that's good news. Right now I have three monitors. With the new setup two would suffice. Thanks for the info
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-08-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC Music View Post
Well it seems we have a 3 meter incoming soon… but is pricey!

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/08/apple...-in-the-works/
yeah, interesting.
In fact while researching for some definitive info as to why this seemingly violates the current rules I just found this tidbit on Wikipedia:
"At some unspecified time in the future, optical Thunderbolt 4 cables are targeting lengths between ~5 m (20 ft) to 50 m (160 ft)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde...#Thunderbolt_4
Old 03-08-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I bought one this morning. I have two M Pro 5.1s running now. Pro TOols HDX on the main one, Vienna Ensemble Pro on the other. Both High Sierra. Both 48 gigs Ram, both cranky as an old drunk on Monday morning. I bought the Ultra version with max RAM, 2TB HD. Doesn't deliver till mid April here in Canada. Currently sorting out PCI chassis, which I guess would be the Magma EB3T Express Box. It seems to work with everything. Loads to learn, but it would be so wonderful to dispose of VEP. Does anyone here have the Magma Express box? I'd like to load one of the other slots with an NVMe card with four 2 TB SSD's for virtual instruments. Sonnet looks great but I'm not sure it's compatible with the Magma box. I wrote Sonnet to find out.
I realize Monterey isn't supported yet. Obviously I'll keep my current sputtering and wheezing Millennium Falcon running with more chewing gum, gnashing of teeth and the occasional whack to the dashboard.
As far as Thunderbolt cable length, frankly, I would glue the monitor(s) to my forehead if it meant no more crashes or random oddities. And to be able to run my VI's without VEP and without trepidation. And dream of dreams? No more 9171s.
Also, from what I've heard, the Apple Silicon machines don't need anywhere near as much RAM as the old Intel guys do. I have big Spitfire libraries, Arturia, Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian etc.
How many HDx cards do you use?
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:12 PM

I bought one this morning, too.

I have been using a 16GB M1 Mac mini since December. It is paired to an Avid Carbon interface, and a UA Thunderbolt Octo for access to their plugins. I’ve been running Monterey, which is what the mini came with. PT Ultimate 2021.12 works great for me, with the exception of various plugins that everyone knows about by now. The only real issue I had was that TimeMachine wouldn’t do backups; the update to 12.1 fixed that.

Before the mini, I was using a quad i7 (3770K) PC with 32GB of RAM and a HD4 Accel setup. PT10. The Mac mini easily runs sessions that system struggled with, with the CPU use sitting at around 15-20%. With a 32 sample buffer. And without any fan noise.

Granted, I typically only use a few sample libraries and VI’s, and if you use a lot then YMMV, but even with only 16GB of RAM, I’ve been impressed with the performance of the M1 mini. Enough so that once I saw the Studio, I knew I wanted to give one a try. They gave it all the features I was hoping for - more RAM, more ports, a card slot, and more performance cores.

I opted for the base model, except with a 1TB SSD. For the way I work and the types of projects I do, 32GB of RAM should be fine. And I don’t do a lot of video editing and I’m not using it for gaming, so the 24-core GPU is more than enough. Even my mini is surprisingly quick working with video in the little bit of experimenting I’ve done. I’m getting such good results running PT in Monterey (annoying, but understandable plugin issues aside), and Monterey is what the Studio will ship with, so I’m hoping for similar results there. By going with the M1 Max (which others have had good results with) rather than a totally new M1 Ultra CPU/SoC, I’m hoping to avoid any issues related to the new chip.

That’s the theory, anyway. If it takes a while to iron out, the mini will do just fine in the meantime. I’ll post updates once the new Mac gets here and I have a chance to use it a bit.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:16 PM

I purchased one as well. I’ve been on an intel laptop on Catalina for the past couple of years. I’m not looking forward to the migration, but hoping Monterrey compatibility is coming soon.

This computer looks amazing.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Just announced Mac Studio looks killer!

lol

Yeah, it does look amazing. I couldn’t resist. I bought one this morning. It should be here by the end of the month, if not a bit sooner. Can’t wait to try it. I’m just hoping it will be as compatible with Carbon and Ultimate 2021.12 as the mini has been for me. Plugin issues aside.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:41 PM

This new mac looks amazing and will probably be the eventual replacement for my souped up 5,1 Mac Pro when it is no longer viable. But it’s still kicking and running PT 2021.12 on Big Sur 11.6.4.

But until Avid gets at least the Complete Bundle working under Monterey, all this power is worthless for real production work. My brand new 14” MBP M1|Pro has been (un)patiently waiting to be able to be my traveling PT rig for almost 5 months now…
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.