How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Avid Profile latency

Hello guys:
Recently i bought a Avid Profile for my live band setup. At this moment i have the console in my studio and i feel some latency in mics channels. Already checked without plugins and latency is there. May i am doing something wrong in setup or is normal this latency on Avid Profile?

Thanks a lot!!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Avid Profile latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronet View Post
Hello guys:
Recently i bought a Avid Profile for my live band setup. At this moment i have the console in my studio and i feel some latency in mics channels. Already checked without plugins and latency is there. May i am doing something wrong in setup or is normal this latency on Avid Profile?

Thanks a lot!!
Every digital console has latency, some are faster, some are slower. Just recently I tested around 20 different digital consoles to see how different they sound if all the internal processing is bypassed. At the same time I was also able to see the latency numbers of these consoles. I'm sorry to say I was extremely disappointed with the latency numbers of my S3L system. I'll share the numbers with you guys, I have not had time to check the audio interface latency, so right now these numbers also include my test system audio I/O latency (Pro Tools HD I/O), so real numbers are slightly smaller, but not much as HD I/O is one of the fastest interfaces out there. This was not a laboratory test, some desks we used had on-board I/O, others had stage boxes, so some latency numbers can vary depending on where you tap your input and outputs, but this gives an rough idea how large latency there is. Values are in samples @ 96khz. I will update the numbers once I have measured my HD I/O latency.

SD9 118
01V96 56
CL5 295
DL1608 144
iLive 141
LS9 191
M7 189
M32 80
M200 191
M5000 164
PRO1 342
RML16AI 217
Profile 231
S3L 341
S21 106
SiPerformer 72
Vi1 102
X32 80
XR18 80
dLive 70
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 AM

Well, good job Kristo... Pro1 is (and the only) worst than my S3L (arghhh). Something is wrong with S3L too: any pluguin will add some delay not controlled (using D-Verb, don't let MIX the FX and you will notice).
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSendra View Post
Well, good job Kristo... Pro1 is (and the only) worst than my S3L (arghhh). Something is wrong with S3L too: any pluguin will add some delay not controlled (using D-Verb, don't let MIX the FX and you will notice).
Actually he owner of Pro1 said, that there are many latency modes on the console and he is not sure in what mode the desk was in. We will need to double-check the Pro1 as it might of been in a full compensation mode that makes latency longer on this desk. I'm not familiar with the console so I need to look further into this.

It is normal for plugins to add latency, they are digital processes and any such process will add latency. That is one reason I once created the table that you can see if you click on the link in my signature. Depending on your needs you might want to look at the DSP usage numbers and latency numbers before you commit using a certain plugin to do the job you need to get done as some are faster than others.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 AM

Hello guys:
Any idea of TDM latency plugins that came on Profile?

And about waves SSL Bundle latency?

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronet View Post
Hello guys:
Any idea of TDM latency plugins that came on Profile?

And about waves SSL Bundle latency?

Thanks!!
Look here: http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/plugin-latency