Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Re: what is up with the session I/O dialog upon opening a session

Yes this can be annoying. So when you look in the details report what does it say?

I've noticed things like inputs being made inactive because they don't exist. And it appears like if you don't reassign those inputs in that session to something valid, the same warning pop-up happens next time. Even if you try to set an input that was made invalid (i.e. showing as nothing) to nothing Pro Tools does not seem to care. Set that to a valid input and it pays attention and does not warn you next time.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:33 AM

I am also SO tired of this I/O thing.
I got all the I/O setiings set where I want them (input, output, label names etc) and then saved them in the I/O setup section with my own name. It saved them on the drive in a file I named.
Every time I open PT 11, I go in and say use this created I/O file, and then open up the session I am working on.
I seem to get the startup error if I just click on the session file, and then let it open PT11.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafatboy View Post
I am also SO tired of this I/O thing.
I got all the I/O setiings set where I want them (input, output, label names etc) and then saved them in the I/O setup section with my own name. It saved them on the drive in a file I named.
Every time I open PT 11, I go in and say use this created I/O file, and then open up the session I am working on.
I seem to get the startup error if I just click on the session file, and then let it open PT11.
Yes but what path is the session using that Pro Tools is upset about? just reloading IO setting does not change what a track input or output thinks it is using.

So again... when you look in the details report what does it say?

I've noticed things like inputs being made inactive because they don't exist. And it appears like if you don't reassign those inputs in that session to something valid, the same warning pop-up happens next time. Even if you try to set an input that was made invalid (i.e. showing as nothing) to nothing Pro Tools does not seem to care. Set that to a valid input and it pays attention and does not warn you next time.

I know this is annoying when it happens but the first thing it to try to work out exactly why Pro Tools thinks is wrong (even if it is confused/a bug) and see if you can fix this in a session. if not is it just a bug that needs to be fixed or do you want to have say a session setting that Pro Tools never checks for IO issues?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes but what path is the session using that Pro Tools is upset about? just reloading IO setting does not change what a track input or output thinks it is using.

So again... when you look in the details report what does it say?
For me, it says this:

Missing Stems
The input path "A 1-2" was made inactive because its stem is missing.

Am not ashamed to admit that I don't have a clue what this means! Like I wrote in previous post, I've been getting this message continuously for the last couple of years using PT - from version LE 8.0.3 (w Digi 002 Rack) to the present 10 and 11 (now using Apogee Duet 2).

I would be much obliged if someone here (Darryl perhaps?) can tell me what it means and which steps to take to help 'input path "A 1-2" find it's missing stem!
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
For me, it says this:

Missing Stems
The input path "A 1-2" was made inactive because its stem is missing.

Am not ashamed to admit that I don't have a clue what this means! Like I wrote in previous post, I've been getting this message continuously for the last couple of years using PT - from version LE 8.0.3 (w Digi 002 Rack) to the present 10 and 11 (now using Apogee Duet 2).

I would be much obliged if someone here (Darryl perhaps?) can tell me what it means and which steps to take to help 'input path "A 1-2" find it's missing stem!
Well this is frustrating. I've also had sessions over several versions of Pro Tools that also showed a stem error as well and I had managed to get it to go away in the past by just flipping though all the tracks, buses etc. and making sure they were assigned to currently valid inputs without really thinking what I was doing. But I'll admit I have no clue what it means by a "stem" in that case, you would think it mean a bus or an aux send to a bus or output that does not exist. But most of the time i see this the changes it reports are just things like inputs not existing and easy to make stop happening. I went in and tried creating sessions with lots of permutations of things like that and I could get it to throw errors for missing inputs, outputs, buses but I could not make it give a "missing stem" error.

The other annoying type of these "IO has changed" messages is the ones that just sat the IO has changed and has no other info. Well Duh yes I know I have a different playback engine. I'd prefer to be able to tell Pro Tools to STFU with these warnings unless it is actually making something inactive, or just STFU altogether. And I'm thinking Avid could have done somethign a bit different here, like color inputs and buses made inactive slightly differently (color the inactive IO buttons a grayish yellow for example) to show what inputs were just made autocratically made inactive (vs. other thigns you have inactive already).

So if anybody else understands this stem warning it would be great to know what exactly it means.

And back to my earlier comments. If you open a session and inputs etc. have been made inactive, you need to do something about it, reset those inputs to a valid input or set them to a valid input and then back to nothing. Otherwise next time you reopen that session your will get that warning again. Lots of folks seem to think you just have to default the IO and these warnings should go away, not at all... its a warning about the input and output etc. assignments etc. in the session don't matching up with the IO settings. Just defaulting the IO won't make the now invalid inputs point to that valid IO. Pro Tools would not know what track IO to connect to what newly changes inputs and outputs to automatically repair this.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what all causes the inputs to become invalid (although changing your audio interface almost certainly is one of them). The answer tho, is that you have to select a valid input for each track, including hidden tracks. Once each track has a valid input, this message will go away.
TweedyBird
ProTools 10 Vers 10.3.8
Old 04-12-2015, 03:16 AM

Seriously? This STILL has not been fixed? SO aggravating... at a show tonight my sessions kept opening this dialog box saying the session changed (when it did not) and it even changed itself to a different IO, as if it was saved last as that (which it was not) and then a re-boot and it's back to what it was suppose to (WITH the lame dialog box).. I can't get rid of that pointless box... WHY WHY WHY is this not fixed?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Well, Avid claims it is fixed in 12, but we shall see.... I get this annoyance quite a bit too. Some is due to opening sessions that got worked on at another studio(all my IO is named according to my preamps on the input side, and my output routing, which includes 5 stereo headphone mixes, plus a second stereo output I use for solo function. As for what causes this, there are several things, such as:
Input or output named inconsistently(like Phones Drums vs Phones Drum)
any inactive track(which might flag an input, an output or a side-chain path)
Calling up a new session from a template that might have an old path name.
Yes, annoying as.............

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2015, 03:28 PM

Same here. Over the years its like opening a fortune cookie every time I open a file. I do not know what I am going to get. Drives me nuts.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:19 PM

I'm not upgrading to 12 I paid for 7, 8, and 11. 11 is still supported so whit is this not fixed in 11 yet? The answer to an annoying bug should not be "please spend more money and upgrade to 12" there should be a fix rolled out to the supported product, in this case 11. I hit this 3 times tonight