Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Default I need some MIDI help, trying to get back on the saddle

After a long break from recording (broken computer, marriage, bought a house) i finally got a new macbook and i am firing up the old mbox 1 for some recording. i am interested in getting a midi controller for my mbox but i am unsure of exactly what i need. I might upgrade to the mbox 2 or 3 when i get some money, but for now i have to stick with the 1. i have a keyboard that i believe has midi output. would i then just need to buy a MIDI interface? I might get a MIDI controller as well.

so basically, what do i need to get midi rolling on this mbox? any recommendations on an interface or a controller? preferably something that is good value and quality, i don't mind paying a little extra to get something that lasts.

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: I need some MIDI help, trying to get back on the saddle

Assuming your existing keyboard does put out MIDI and that it's NOT a Yamaha, see this or something similar that translates to USB. If your existing keyboard puts MIDI out as USB already like these, any old USB with the right connectors works fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM

you say new an in it has Snow Leopard 10.6.x as the OS? the MB1 does not work at all

bets to upgrade to PT9 and get a midi interface or and audio and midi interface
here is a list of what's working: http://www.airusersblog.com/pro-tool...dware-checker/

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
bets to upgrade to PT9 and get a midi interface or and audio and midi interface[/URL]
Or, if you have enough room, make a 50gb or so partition on your HD, install leopard and Protools. Turn off Spotlight, Timemachine and so on and get a smooth running PT only startup disk. Run it, fine tune it for a few sessions, and make a disk image backup for safety.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM

I would have to agree with Craig, if you have snow leopard installed, the mbox 1 is out. And instead of doing the partitioning etc to have a back dated rig, I'd just look into a new set up.
I just saw a brand new mbox 2 that comes with pt8 on eBay for $370. That would have your midi interface and would be compatible with your system.

For your best recommendations, give your system specs, your recording demands, and budget...

Good luck.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt