How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-18-2022, 06:13 PM

Default Re: macOS 12.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
May or may not be related but I find that I have to wait until I hear the fan rev on my HDX card before I launch DADman. The fan revs when the HD driver loads. If DADMan is launched before that, it crashes. This is on Big Sur.
OK .. I had fixed this months ago, but now it's back again. No big deal. I just quit and relaunch and it's fine. .looked through crash report, and it says it hangs somewhere.It even crashes if I just log out and back in again.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-19-2022, 08:07 AM

So this is what I found out on DADMAN, Sort of shocked they have not got this done yet. I replied that I was using the latest and was told BY Avid to upgrade to Monterey as the "approved version" for PT 2022.4 instead of Catalina for my room. I was also having this crashing issue when first opening and closing with Catalina, but it only happened until that latest version of DADMAN came out. Strange that it's back again. Otherwise I told them that it seems to be operational. I mean Monterey has been out for months. I just heard that DAD is releasing an update soon according to Avid that I just heard from them.

From DigitalAudioDenmark
Hi Greg,

You don't mention which version of DADMan you use, but in any case, DADman does not support Monterey.

We are working on a new release of DADman which will support Monterey.

Best regards,
Jan Lykke
NTP Technology
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 05-19-2022 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Adding things in
Old 05-19-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
So this is what I found out on DADMAN, Sort of shocked they have not got this done yet. I replied that I was using the latest and was told BY Avid to upgrade to Monterey as the "approved version" for PT 2022.4 instead of Catalina for my room. I was also having this crashing issue when first opening and closing with Catalina, but it only happened until that latest version of DADMAN came out. Strange that it's back again. Otherwise I told them that it seems to be operational. I mean Monterey has been out for months. I just heard that DAD is releasing an update soon according to Avid that I just heard from them.

From DigitalAudioDenmark
Hi Greg,

You don't mention which version of DADMan you use, but in any case, DADman does not support Monterey.

We are working on a new release of DADman which will support Monterey.

Best regards,
Jan Lykke
NTP Technology
I have been using DADman on my Monterey M1 Pro laptop since I got it in October 21. It as always functioned on Monterey 12.01 to 12.4. It is not my primary machine but I have never had an issue with it.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have been using DADman on my Monterey M1 Pro laptop since I got it in October 21. It as always functioned on Monterey 12.01 to 12.4. It is not my primary machine but I have never had an issue with it.

Me either really, other than the first time quitting it, but then it closes fine. Anyway, that was the email replay back this am. I guess an update is eminent according to my contact at Avid.

BTW I did try booting up PT after the 12.4 update, but it crashed after loading almost all of my plugins.. SO, I removed them and of course PT then loaded up fine.. I am going to go thru and see which ones are messed up Long day ahead, but glad I have a clone in case it takes too long to figure out. My guess it's something simple..It always is right? lol.

Off for at least a week and something to do in the rain here today-:).

G
Old 05-19-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I was having a few kernel panics with 12.3.1 so was eager to try the update to macOS. The kernel panics are not Protools related as these happened with my computer sitting idle and Protools not loaded or running.
It has been almost three days and I have not had any kernel panics since updating to macOS 12.4. So I'm happy about that.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 05-20-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
It has been almost three days and I have not had any kernel panics since updating to macOS 12.4. So I'm happy about that.
YUP. Have not had any of those in a while. Maybe a couple of years ago? BTW I want to report that after hours of figuring out what was happening with the uncharted waters of 12.4 that it is working fine with DolbyAtmos sessions and also regular sessions as well. Also test QT movie bounce and other tasks that I rely on here for client deliveries. NOT a full comprehensive on Atmos, but seems to be fine for an hour. I found that there were a few plugins out of like 583 or so I had on my Mac. YIKES!
I needed to just take the time and start where I saw on loading ProTools LOGO as it goes thru all of the plugins by. alphabetical names at bottom of logo, (long afternoon!!), and then screen grabbing the names, where to start. I also found some old WAVES Waveshells and other stuff I did not need anymore and removed those also. In the end there were only a few that were hanging me up at that point. Some old Final Mix plugin from Izotope, which I don't even use from back in 2014 and never really updated and a couple of others which I can't remember. So now everything seems to be fine. I had a clone prior to updating, but figured I would take the time that others might not have since I am off right now for another couple of weeks to figure this out. I just put all of the plugins in the UnUsed plugins folder and went through them all. Some I just got rid of if they were left over from old software I did not need anymore. P.S. I also had Waves on the phone and they shared screen with me and got rid of some things I did not know about. So we uninstalled everything and rebuilt the whole catalog of Waves stuff from scratch. I don't use a lot of their stuff, but some of the older things I do use occasionally and some things new.

That's what I got!

Cheers and have a nice weekend-:)

Last edited by gives; 05-20-2022 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 06-03-2022, 06:44 AM

Never use sleep? How did I miss this after so many decades of Pro Tools / Sound Tools etc? Maybe I should shut it down every night? And Greg, you just leave screen saver running at night? I always thought sleep might be better for me as I live on an island - i.e. out in the wind - and power outages happen a few times a year.

Definitely Mac Studio Ultra does NOT like sleep. It usually takes three tries before it starts snoring.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 06-03-2022, 07:07 AM

FYI

Apple M1 machines can kernel panic if an HDX chassis is disconnected while the computer is on or the computer is put to sleep. To disconnect an HDX chassis safely, the computer must be powered down.

I don’t think Pro Tools ever liked it when the computer was “sleeping”. Eucon as well.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 AM

We never let our machines sleep. Either turn them off at night, or just turn the screen off which is what we do.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sleep. That advice is way outdated. PT doesn't like it so just quit beforehand. Can't speak for the Studio Ultra but I've used sleep for 20 years on Mac and PC. Just don't leave PT running. I use Amphetamine if I do need to leave it up.

Amphetamine is for the Mac not me