Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Mastering with Pro Tools Plugins???

My Band, "The Larson Brothers Band" recorded our first Record in 1987 at A&R Studios in Rancho Mirage, Ca.

"I Could Be There" & "Thief In The Night". It was released as a Single & later appeared on our 1st Album. You can find it on ITunes or YouTube.

They were a top of the line 24 Track Studio with Neve Console & top of the line everything.

I'm not exactly new at this. Since then I've recorded 3 Albums with The LB's, 1 Album with "Analog Sky", 1 Album with "The Phantom Teardrops", several "Lucky Larson" Projects & currently recording an EP with "The Redondo's".

Being a Musician first most of our work has been done in other Studios & still is. But, I'm wanting to do more & more in my Studio.

I've recorded on Tape, Adat & other DAW's but I am relatively new to Pro Tools. Every Format change has it's own learning curve & Pro Tools has been very challenging to me. Sometimes I want to go back to Reel to Reel.

If I gotta go thru this learning curve I don't see anything wrong with studying Mixing & Mastering at the same time. I compare it to learning how to play Baseball & Football, Arts & Crafts or Driving a Stick Shift or an Automatic at the same time.

I may never be great at it but it can't hurt to learn as much as I can & try it myself. I think it would be especially helpful if I want to have Mastering done by someone else.

Most of the Feedback has been very informative & meant to be helpful. I appreciate it.

Re; Tuning Rooms, Listening Environments, Plug ins, Techniques, Gear & Ears I find very interesting. It's great to hear the different things you do, what you use, how your Studios are set up etc.

I ask that you all be patient with my questions as I'm in the midst of the Pro Tools learning curve! Hopefully I'll get up to speed on the vocabulary quickly if nothing else!

Thanks,

Larsongs

Last edited by larsongs; 03-01-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Mastering with Pro Tools Plugins???

PT isn't really that hard to learn. There are the basics and then there is under the hood. All up to you how deep you want to dive in.
The problem I have with trying to learn everything is you never learn one thing well.

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningDisk View Post
The problem I have with trying to learn everything is you never learn one thing well.

Unbelievably true in the modern world, and particularly in audio production. The marketing tells you that not only can you do it all, but you should. And neither are true IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
PT isn't really that hard to learn. There are the basics and then there is under the hood. All up to you how deep you want to dive in.

Easy for you to say

How will you know what you can do really well unless you try many different things?

I want to have a good general knowledge of Recording, Mixing & Mastering. In many cases I will have others do it & in some cases I want to do it. It depends on what it is.

Knowledge is good. IMO

Thanks,

Larsongs
Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM

The real problem is,
with a lot of the misinformation available to all on the internet, you exponentially tend to not get great at things.
I do mostly mastering, and am astounded at the bad info that is taken as gospel by people online.
(We've all seen the "what is your mastering plugin chain?" threads.
That question simply makes no sense.)
Strangely enough, the people we hire to do mixing, only do mixing.
Same with tracking and mastering.
I can't really say that I've met that person who is truly good at all of them.

Nothing wrong with learning about stuff though.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
The real problem is,
with a lot of the misinformation available to all on the internet, you exponentially tend to not get great at things.
I do mostly mastering, and am astounded at the bad info that is taken as gospel by people online.
(We've all seen the "what is your mastering plugin chain?" threads.
That question simply makes no sense.)
Strangely enough, the people we hire to do mixing, only do mixing.
Same with tracking and mastering.
I can't really say that I've met that person who is truly good at all of them.

Nothing wrong with learning about stuff though.
I've fallen to the online bug as well with drum lessons. Could never get the hang of something before the instructor would take the class on a journey into something else.

QAPLA!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM

Learn all you want Larsongs. No one is stopping you. Just hate for you to waste your time. You only live once.

[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 03-05-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Learn all you want Larsongs. No one is stopping you. Just hate for you to waste your time. You only live once.

Did you learn Mastering? If yes, why? If it's a waste of time.

Using your advice I should still recording with Reel to Reel. I should've skipped all the expense & learning curves for every new technology that came along.

You may be right.

But I didn't & now here I am. I want to learn more about Mastering.

Thanks,

Larsongs
Old 03-05-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Mastering with Pro Tools Plugins???

Kinda figured you were out to argue. I'm moving on and yes I did learn how to Master. Not my cup of tea(actually it is but it takes away from the producing, writing etc.) I rather produce and mix along with Songwriting. I feel I'm getting better at those because attention is only on those.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Peace.

[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Kinda figured you were out to argue. I'm moving on and yes I did learn how to Master. Not my cup of tea(actually it is but it takes away from the producing, writing etc.) I rather produce and mix along with Songwriting. I feel I'm getting better at those because attention is only on those.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Peace.

I originally came to ask the experts a basic question. Simple. Not argue or debate. That came from some here.

It would be great to come to this Forum & ask questions & get answers without people talking down to them or telling them what a Newbie they must be & or start a debate as to why they shouldn't do something.

Why not simply answer the questions?

With all due respect, no argument intended towards anyone here. Just trying to get a little assistance.

Thank you,

Larsongs