Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: PT LE vs Logic Studio (8)

Do you know the preference to change for copy/paste?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 AM

I'm with bigdawg. Even if I could afford both PTLE and Login 8 Pro, I don't understand the comments to have both. I equate it to him asking which (of two incompatible) word processors he should use and being told to buy both.

How would that work? You open package #1 and begin to create a session. Then, in the middle, you open up the other package and do something? Or, you do some songs in PT and some in LP?

How is this a good approach?
Boulder, CO 80306
http://www.westinis.com
Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I'm with bigdawg. Even if I could afford both PTLE and Login 8 Pro, I don't understand the comments to have both. I equate it to him asking which (of two incompatible) word processors he should use and being told to buy both.

How would that work? You open package #1 and begin to create a session. Then, in the middle, you open up the other package and do something? Or, you do some songs in PT and some in LP?

An approach would be, to do the MIDI stuff in Logic (they say the MIDI is better), maybe tracking too, then edit/mix in PT LE. Then you could master either in PT or in another application, and burn elsewhere.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Do you know the preference to change for copy/paste?
Sorry, I had completely missed your question. I opened Logic and tried to find any settings for this but couldn't find any. I also double-checked so I wasn't unintentionally fooling you. Cmnd+C/cmnd+V, option+dragging and right-click copy/right-click paste all gives me independent copies.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:

My Take:

If you're looking to record & write songs on guitar OR via playing live instruments & percussion, just get Pro Tools.
Use Reason Adapted via Rewire from the Ignition 2 pack for Keys, Samples & Drum machine sounds. (Plus all the other cool Ignition apps)

Learning multiple apps is confusing UNLESS you have mucho computer music experience OR a really good reason.

Personally, I own both, as I teach music technology classes on the university level and I'm expected to know something about all the programs.

Most of my students are best served by a new PTLE system with the Ignition pack 2 on a MAC based system. PC compatibility is a nightmare for most of the people coming through my classes.

If you have a bit more money, the Mbox 2 pro with Firewire and the ability to record 4 tracks at once,--6 if you have sp/dif mic pre/device (for live drums etc.) is nice.

If you are a student, the academic software sites can also save you a decent bit of money on Mboxes, Reason, and other computer software.

One man's observations, Just trying to help YMMV

Best ;-)

Walt
Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 PM

I would get both, because LOGIC is way more advanced than Pro-Tools LE. It really takes a stubborn fool to not see the curtain that digidesign is putting around its products and the rest of the audio / dsp world.

I am sorry guys, but the idea of industry standard from an Pro-Tools LE stand point is weak. The capabilties of personal computing systems today are way advanced even beyond general expectations.

For example on a MBP I have seen a 48 track Logic session work great and sound awesome on the internal sound card.

Also the cost of bringing PTLE upto a basic level of practical production competence is increasing year after year..

Music Production Tool Kit
DV Tool Kit
Structure

These features should be built into PRO-Tools

Logic alreasy has these massive capabilities and more and the cost is close to $499.00
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Logic express sucks when you find out all of the cool things Logic Studio has. Like Ultra Beat.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Logic express sucks when you find out all of the cool things Logic Studio has. Like Ultra Beat.
It's in LE8.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM

I am also in the camp to get both...

That being said, are you using the laptop during services (mentioned earlier that you are using it for praise and worship) ie. on stage as part of the band? if so then I would go with logic, but I prefer to track with PT.

My boss recently purchased logic pro 8 for our studio so he could work on an ablum someone sent him (the entire thing was done in logic).

There is my 2 cents.

Jon
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 12-25-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It's in LE8.
I found that after I made that post. 8 still doesn't have Sculpture synth and Space Designer and Delay Designer effects. So I will bought Studio and use it with Pro Tools.