Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 AM

Default Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new in the Protools world (have been using an Mbox 2 for 6 months) and I am an absolute beginner in Mac world. I am planning to get a new 15" Core 2 Duo 2.33 Mac Book Pro, however I just noticed that this laptop has not yet been officially declared compatible.

I know what this means, but I don't understad why it takes so long to test it? Is it always like this? Should I wait until it is fully confirmed? Or could I simply download a firmware update when it is available? I simply don't know how Digidesign and Apple handle things.

Do you suggest I should simply buy the Mac Book Pro as it will be confirmed compatible anyway? Does anyone have any personal experience with this combination?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo

I have it and it is working well. Very Well. The G4's are about a 1/4 or less of the power of this laptop.
I have been using it for a month and no problems.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:52 AM

Same here.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I know what this means, but I don't understad why it takes so long to test it?
It takes time to test every possible configuration and fix all the possible issues that have been found. Now please do understand that the outcome of the testing is that after Digi says so, they SUPPORT the configuration and take responsibility of the bugs found. It does not mean that before officially supported, the hardware would not WORK.

If you can afford to test the system for your own, then yes, it _might_ work out of the box. But if you need to have 100% uptime because you make money with your system, then it's best to wait until Digi supports the system.

Also, older previously supported systems _might_ work very well, but they're just not officially supported. This only means that you're not able to whine about poor performance or bugs you found now that anyone else didn't find while your system was supported. Digi only supports supported systems by definition, and that's what it means.

FWIW, most PC systems are unsupported. Mac users are "the elite protoolers" because 99.9% of Mac systems are supported soon after they're released. That is because Digi can know better what kind of system configurations are out there. Should you take a look at the PC world, you'd soon discover that the problem is 1000 times bigger.

So, as a rule of thumb; buy any Mac and Protools will work. Sooner or later.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
So, as a rule of thumb; buy any Mac and Protools will work. Sooner or later.
Yep this is the answer, I'd been waiting for, thanks.

Well, yes, I do understand that a system should be thoroughly tested under many real world situations and plug-in combinations, what I really tried to ask was "does it usually take so long to test it" (it's been some time since these macs hit the stores). There are 3 new Mac Book Pro models and 3 new Mac Book models X 1 Mbox, 3 Mbox 2s, 2 Digi 002s.

And I know very well about the Windows side of things, I cannot use my elder HP laptop effectively with ProTools and this is one of the reasons why I'm so into upgrading to a Mac.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 PM

HI, Could you give us a dverb count on your new MBP?
Curious to compare Core duo Vs Core 2 duo...
I get about 65 with my machine, see sig.

Cheers,
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM

Anyone purchased the refurbs on www.apple.com lately? You can get the 15" now for around 1399.00. Add the Apple care plan and you are still below a new one. I've purchased about 6 from the refurb dept. and only had probs with an iMac (mainboard) and iBook (touchpad). Apple took care of the issues since they were covered under warranty. Thinking about getting a couple more laptops this month.
Any new rumors of a new graphics card in the MacBook Pro over the current ATI X1600 ? X1900 would be sweet!

Allen
Old 12-23-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Anyone purchased the refurbs on www.apple.com lately? You can get the 15" now for around 1399.00. Add the Apple care plan and you are still below a new one. I've purchased about 6 from the refurb dept. and only had probs with an iMac (mainboard) and iBook (touchpad). Apple took care of the issues since they were covered under warranty. Thinking about getting a couple more laptops this month.
Any new rumors of a new graphics card in the MacBook Pro over the current ATI X1600 ? X1900 would be sweet!

Allen
I know a few people who did no problems. The only big difference besides the price, is you get a ugly box.

Wiz
Old 12-23-2006, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE]
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new in the Protools world (have been using an Mbox 2 for 6 months) and I am an absolute beginner in Mac world. I am planning to get a new 15" Core 2 Duo 2.33 Mac Book Pro, however I just noticed that this laptop has not yet been officially declared compatible.

It has now. Might buy myself a Xmas present
Old 12-23-2006, 11:59 PM

I think it is crazy how fast computers are evolving right now. The power of the new Mac Core 2 Duos for example are lightyears faster than the old G4s and G5s from a year ago and range from 4x to 24x the old processing power depending on the job. It used to be that we could build or buy a great system and it would be good for a couple of years, and now it is outdated in 6 months to a year. The good thing about buying Macs right now is that you can at least get some money back by reselling them on Ebay or to a friend.
Hang on for the ride!

Allen