Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Default I might be adding another modeler soon

I won't be getting rid of the Eleven Rack. I'm keeping that for as long as it serves my needs...

I've been eyeing the Kemper Profiler for about a year. I said I'd reconsider it when:

1) they do a rackmount version
2) they implement performance mode
3) they have a dedicated controller

Point 1 was satisfied at Winter NAMM.

Point 2 is close to being satisfied: KPA firmware 2.0 is in public beta; it includes performance mode.

Point 3, it turns out, is satisfied not by Kemper (although they're saying their own floorboard will probably see the light of day this fall) but by FAMC. FAMC and Kemper have collaborated on integrating the KPA and the LF+. It takes less than a minute to sync the two units (a one-time operation) after which the LF+ buttons and displays automatically track what's programmed on the KPA. Also, the KPA's tuner displays on the LF+.

By the time I scrape together the $$, the KPA 2.0 firmware should be finalized...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Re: I might be adding another modeler soon

cool man. That Kemper does look sweet.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 AM

TDD, I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your eventual Kemper purchase.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM

I'll keep you posted. At this point it looks like it'll be a week or two until I'm up and running.

I have some of the smaller bits (power supply, breakout panel, cables) already ordered. I'm expecting word soon on delivery time of the Kemper Rack to my local dealer.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM

If you can, post up some pics and tones too

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM

I got to spend some time on it at NAMM the year they introduced it, and I fell in love. I was as well waiting for the rackmount and get some firmware updates as there has been quite a few issues still and no windows editor. Things are slowly moving forward on it. I am getting my rig together now for a small tour this summer and have decided to go with my Mark V (I love this amp) instead of any modeling for now as the shows are backlined, so dont need to haul my cabinets, just head and pedals. But when i move back into the studio this fall, I will be making this decision for sure!!! I sold a Les Paul custom today and deciding between an Ernie Ball guitar I want really bad, or the Kemper.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
I won't be getting rid of the Eleven Rack. I'm keeping that for as long as it serves my needs...

I've been eyeing the Kemper Profiler for about a year. I said I'd reconsider it when:

1) they do a rackmount version
2) they implement performance mode
3) they have a dedicated controller

Point 1 was satisfied at Winter NAMM.

Point 2 is close to being satisfied: KPA firmware 2.0 is in public beta; it includes performance mode.

Point 3, it turns out, is satisfied not by Kemper (although they're saying their own floorboard will probably see the light of day this fall) but by FAMC. FAMC and Kemper have collaborated on integrating the KPA and the LF+. It takes less than a minute to sync the two units (a one-time operation) after which the LF+ buttons and displays automatically track what's programmed on the KPA. Also, the KPA's tuner displays on the LF+.

By the time I scrape together the $$, the KPA 2.0 firmware should be finalized...
Man, you know more about the current status of Kemper than I do - and I've owned it for over a year!

I had no idea there was any collaboration between LF and Kemper. I've been wanting a LF JR+ for a while now.

Having owned an 11R from its release and the Kemper from its release, I think both are great boxes. I prefer the Kemper, but it's significantly more expensive so one would expect it to be better.

It's very nice to be on the cutting edge of a supported product rather than at the bottom of a downward spiral of an unsupported product. (unsupported is my assessment (and the common assessment) -not Avid's party line).

I haven't looked around at the Tweed Deluxe profiles - which I recall you loved about the 11R. But if you keep the 11R, you still got those sounds. It'll only cost about $15 to get a bunch of Tweed profiles from The Amp Factory and see if you like those.

Over the last year I have missed some very specific patches I had on the 11R. I profiled a couple of them into the Kemper. But now, I find that most of the patches I missed, when I go back and play them on the 11R, I usually can find or make something better on the Kemper. But that's been an evolution - not something I heard right off the bat.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM

and FWIW, I prefer the reverb and delays on the 11R - they are much easier to set up to get the sound I want. I _think_ all the adjustments are there on the Kemper, but the 11R just has those things sounding "right" from the beginning.

WARNING: Kemper's SPDIF only works at 44.1kHz! So don't got and hire out a day at your local studio tracking drums at 48kHz and then not be able to digitally record your Kemper - like I _just_ did.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM

I was one of the early adopters of the LF+, blewis. I follow new developments on the FAMC forum; that's how I learned about the Kemper support.

I'm waiting to find out what profiles ship with the Kemper. I'll buy TAF's Tweed Deluxe if it's not already included.

It looks as if I'll be receiving my Kemper Rack around mid-July. I could have had it already had I ordered from Sweetwater. However, I have a standing rule that I'll buy locally whenever I can; I have a local Kemper dealer. (And really: this is not a time-critical purchase...) It just happens that the US Kemper distributor has nothing in stock at the moment, so I'll have to wait for the next batch from Germany. On the plus side, that might be long enough for the 2.0 firmware to be out of beta... (BTW, I have no complaints about Sweetwater, with whom I've done plenty of business. I'd certainly order from Sweetwater if there was no local dealer.)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:24 PM

blewis, a quick question:

Do you ever run the XLR outputs of the Kemper into a mixing desk? If so, do you find that you need to set the Kemper's output level really low to keep the mixer's channel strips out of clipping?