Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Installing OS X on a separate drive??

Hey, anybody running both OS 9 and OS X from separate drives. I am upgrading from PT 5 to PT 6 but am afraid of crashing my system and losing all my old files. On the digidesign website they talk about installing OS X on a separate drive. How exactly do I do this. Is there that option when I throw in the OS X disc?? Sorry, I am just so scared of losing data because I have some big deadlines coming up. From there can you work in PT 5 for certain sessions and work in PT 6 for other sessions? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Installing OS X on a separate drive??

I've been running OS 9 and OS X on different internal drives for over a year. I don't know that it's required any longer, really, but I find it works well, and I've never had the odd problems upgrading OS X.

Assuming you're running two internal drives, here's how I work...

After moving any files you want to keep off the physical drive, boot up from the Jaguar install CD. Use disk utility to reformat the drive. If you're using large drives (I'm using two 120G internals), partition the drive, but give at least 40-60GB for the partition to contain OS X. This would also be the partition for installing PT. If you're going to put other apps on the same partition, just allow plenty of space. It seems that a lot of OX X probs come from not having a lot of free space on the system disk or partition.

Install OS X Jag and then the updates to 10.2.6, then PT.

You can use Startup Disk (from either 9 or X) to choose which drive to start from. (I actually keep a third partition with OS X and PT only, another OS X system partition for all my other apps. Probably not necessary, but then again I've not had PT (LE 6.0.2) crash once.)

Good luck,
Len
Old 06-29-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Installing OS X on a separate drive??

Len,
Thank you for your advice. I will have to try to install things once my time frees up. I really appreciate the advice.
Mike