Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Stuck midi notes in Kontakt in PT 12.4 stops workflow

Hi

Kontakt 5.5.2.880 in Pro tools 12.4 on mac pro running os x 10.11.3.

Digi 003

Midi from keyboard goes through motu 128 interface (but problems occur with any interface)

When I press stop, midi notes are stuck, in Embertone's Freidlander violin/Blakus cello and Samplemodeling's The Trumpet. Instruments that use a lot of expression ccs. No probs with pianos etc. This occurs in even when Kontakt is the only plugin and the cpu useage is very light.

I have used these instruments for years with absolutely no stuck notes in PT HD8.

In PT 12 they are unuseable. Or maybe its a Kontakt thing??

Has anyone noticed that when you press the space bar there is a split second lag before play stops (that's just midi) For audio it stops instantly.
I wonder if there is some connection between this phenomenon and the midi hangs.

Also...post roll just will not engage...I have set everything correctly...and pre roll DOES work.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Last edited by jazubon; 03-22-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: forgot important detail
Old 03-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Stuck midi notes in Kontakt in PT 12.4 stops workflow

Stuck notes can happen if you hit transport stop before the end of a note. Not all daws play nice when hitting stop and stopping MIDI notes.

QAPLA!
Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM

I have the same problem, just upgraded to Komplete Ultimate, and i get stuck notes on absynth especially. Some other synths too. Bad times. Others have posted the same experience

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-22-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazubon View Post
Hi

Kontakt 5.5.2.880 in Pro tools 12.4 on mac pro running os x 10.11.3.

Digi 003

Midi from keyboard goes through motu 128 interface (but problems occur with any interface)

When I press stop, midi notes are stuck, in Embertone's Freidlander violin/Blakus cello and Samplemodeling's The Trumpet. Instruments that use a lot of expression ccs. No probs with pianos etc. This occurs in even when Kontakt is the only plugin and the cpu useage is very light.

I have used these instruments for years with absolutely no stuck notes in PT HD8.

In PT 12 they are unuseable. Or maybe its a Kontakt thing??

Has anyone noticed that when you press the space bar there is a split second lag before play stops (that's just midi) For audio it stops instantly.
I wonder if there is some connection between this phenomenon and the midi hangs.

Also...post roll just will not engage...I have set everything correctly...and pre roll DOES work.

Any suggestions gratefully received
This isn't new to PT12. I had the exact same problem with earlier versions of Kontakt and earlier versions of Pro Tools, going back at least to Pro Tools 10, maybe 9. Don't hink it happened in 8.

Some kontakt sample libraries were fine, others were a nightmare .... Occasional random notes playing at full velocity, and not stopping when playback is stopped.

I eventually cured it by using Vienna Ensemble Pro as my host for Kontakt, in PT10. I've stuck with VEP ever since and have never had the problem come back.

PS I also have a Digi 003 console, but would still have the problems with my MOTU interface, and it didn't matter if I used my 003 MIDI In, or one of the MIDI In ports on my 2x M-Audio MIDIsport 8x8 interfaces.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
I have the same problem, just upgraded to Komplete Ultimate, and i get stuck notes on absynth especially. Some other synths too. Bad times. Others have posted the same experience
Absynth has a long history of stuck notes; it acts like the sustain pedal inside Absynth gets stuck (which does happen with normal sustain pedal usage). I think a lot of this stuck notes syndrome comes from the fact that PT doesn't record/send note offs for each note.

QAPLA!