Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-01-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Midi volume/velocity changes

I am running ProTools LE with an Akai S3000 sampler. The problem I am getting is that say I put 2 different toms on the same channel (Midi), when I go into the mix to reduce the volume of one of them, the other one reduces accordingly.

Is there a way in which I can change the volume of one of the tracks without affecting the other tracks on the same channel?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Midi volume/velocity changes

The easiest way to fix this problem is to simply use velocity and set the velocity for one of the toms to the volume you want relative to the other. You'd still be using one midi channel and when you adjust the volume, you'd still adjust both toms, but one would always be less loud than the other. Of course, if the volume isn't right between the two, you'd have to re-adjust the velocity again. Depending on which parameters are assigned to velocity, this should do the trick.

BTW:In the Windows menu, you can have "Show I/O" in the edit window and adjust the volume there, instead of always swithing over to the mix window.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 11:48 PM

If you have multiple midi tracks all assigned to the same midi channel, changing the volume to one track will change the volume of all tracks on that midi channel. There is no way around that and PT's will not show the change on the other faders.

Ways around it:

-Change the volume of your Toms in your AKAI (I wouldn't do that though it could be quick)

-My 1st choice way would be: In the PT's edit window, use the hand selection tool and select all the Tom notes in the midi track you want to change. Then from the menu select MIDI and CHANGE VELOCITY. Set the value up or down, remember midi note velocties range from 1 (usally unaudable) to 127 (full hit). I usually start going up or down in values of 5.

-Also you could use Midi Event List from the menu Window and then scroll down and manually re type in the velocity values. Midi event is also a good place to see if something crazy got inserted into the track. Controller 11 (expression) is like a 2nd volume control which can mess stuff up.

-and as mentioned above setting the track to velocity lets you grab each note in the edit window and change it's velocity. In this method you could also use the other selection tools to manipulate.

Personally I think Sonar(Cakewalk) and Cubase are the place to edit out midi. I try to avoid editing midi in PT's.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:09 AM

On the volume part, I would simply copy one of the tom's Midi notes to another Midi track, (one way is by using 'split Midi notes'). Assign both Midi faders on the same channel, and adjust volumes with the 2 faders.
OR...
You could just copy the whole Midi track to another Midi track, and with the Grabber going left to right, highlight and delete one of the toms from one track, and the other tom from the other track.
Then adjust each volume and velocity.
A lot of words, but this takes seconds to do.

-Roy