Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 AM

Default Salvaging old PT/Waves/002R

Hello,

I know the shortest answer is I'm SOL, but I had to build a new PC, and Win 7 seemed like the best (only?) choice.

My old XP machine is a trooper, but it seems terribly slow for everything. It's been running for at least eight years, so credit where credit is due.

To start at the beginning, I've got W7 to see the 002R and lock the 1394 light, but I haven't heard anything because the MOBO didn't include an SPDIF jack, and the only SPDIF standoff thingy I've got so far has a four-wide three wire jack, and the MOBO is two-pin SPDIF out. I used driver 9.0.2.65. Will check old PCs for a two-wire stand-off.

I know PT 7 won't run on Win 7, and I'll cross that bridge last.

It's the Waves Gold bundle that will really hurt (2004). It's licensed to the machine ID of the hard drive - pre dongle. The Waves web site still knows who I am, but I can't imagine the transfer process will be easy, or if it will work.

I've really been enjoying playing live for several years and letting anything good vanish into the ether. But I'd like to try capturing something noteworthy for posterity again, and it's better to practice than learn new tools.

Any and all specific or random musings greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Salvaging old PT/Waves/002R

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
Best way to get the best advice is, post a Sandra report on the new rig. Don't worry about SPDIF until you get things working. Step #1 is; you need a newer version of Pro Tools. For Windows 7, LE8.0.5 is the oldest you want (and you could probably buy it second hand, for $50). Or, shop for a second hand PT9 or 10(11 will cost the most, and I'm not sure how well the old 002 is going to work with it). Double-check the driver because, at one point, there were separate drivers for the rack version of 002/003 and the mixer version. Of course, if you go with LE8.0.5, then I believe the driver is still part of the installer. If you go that route, there is a specific installation procedure(no point in posting it if you go newer)

Waves could be a tough one, BUT, they are fairly good about making updates not TOO expensive, so you may get a pleasant surprise. I would email their support and include details of your current version and login info as they are very good about responding

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM

Yes, and with Waves, you may have to pay the Update plan to upgrade to the latest version, but there have been a ton of new plugins added to the Gold bundle over the years (nice ones) that you will get when you upgrade.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 AM

I appreciate the help. The strategies offered so far all kind of require me to do something!! ;-) As an American, aren't I entitled to a quick and easy solution?

Boy, I guess I'll check Craigslist for a copy of PT, preferably V8.0.5. I've never bought software other than retail, so does somebody give you their old retail copy with install discs? I guess if I bought PT I'd sure want a CD to go with it for the inevitable reinstall. Well there's risk in everything.

But there can be rewards as well.

OK, I'll write the Waves guys, check CL, and get a Sisoft Sandra report. I've probably bought an incompatible MOBO!

Thank you.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 10-17-2013, 05:19 AM

I can pretty much guarentee you will need to WUP up. But as Dave said doing so will get you any plugs duded to the bundle since you bought it. So that should ease the pain.

You could buy a used copy of PTLE8 or a used copy of PT 10. I'd go for 10 if you can afford it. Its a whole new world as far as the features added and the restrictions lifted compared to PTLE. Your 002 serial number will let you upgrade to PT 11 for 399.00 but reports on how well the 002 works with PT11 seem to be pretty sketchy. Its a good deal but you might end up having to buy a new interface at some point. Option three would be a new Eleven Rack for 640.00 or so. This would get you a free copy of PT11 and allow you to sell the 002 to recover a bit of the cost.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM

You guys are really helping focus. As we all know, the hardware/software compatibility issues are daunting if you're not up to speed.

I did see PT8 on Ebay for about $30. Sheesh, did these things "fall off a truck"? But that's appealing.

My only other concern is that I originally built two matching machines, one for me and one for a pal, so financially I'm more inclined to take a path that will allow me to get two systems up and running. It was nice to be completely compatible for some years.

I think I did read that PT10 and above (or is it just 11) didn't guarantee working with the 002R. So there is a can of worms waiting for me if I reach too far for the brass ring. I knew how to get my work done in PT7, and relied on the Renn EQ, compressor, L1, and the two verbs they included. The Inspector XL metering package was also a nice touch.

I'll get the Sandra report done later today. THANKS!
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 AM

I couldn't find a template for what kind of Sandra report to generate. Every choice of options I see seems like way too much information. If somebody's searches have revealed report generating methodologies, I'll do what's recommended.

Also ironic, I bet I could build a killer PT 7.3 on XP with a quad core and sufficient RAM that would be less than the cost of the Waves WUP.

I'm still unsuccessfully trying to get SPDIF out from the PC to go into the 002R via coax or lightpipe. The 002R shows in Win 7 as working device, and I use my really old copy of Cool Edit 2000 to spin down through the hardware choices. SPDIF and ADAT get the 002R to show 1394 lock, but nothing from the headphone output.

If that works, then I can get my monitoring system set up with a plausibly direct sound source., and I can also try all the lite versions of Cubase, or Reaper, Cool Edit 2000 etc, and see if they can use the 002R

I think the 002R has a SW switch I need to set on the XP/002 machine that it will hold when a machine is connected. I think the box itself is holding parameters from XP instruction that are preventing me from this rudimentary connection. I'll have to open the XP installation and see what might get done.

Well hope to have some scenarios by the end of the week
h
Thanks,
Greg
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 PM

Greg, I am in the same boat. I bought all of this cool stuff I wanted in 2004. Got distracted by my life and now learn that it's not likely to work because of modernity. We're you successful in resurrecting your Digi002R. I am not wanting to throw in the towel:)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM

I had to table the effort to install PT8 on my new PC. I bought a second-hand copy off EBay and it turned into the most difficult SW installation I can remember. I probably could have gotten it working, but since it was spanning days instead of hours in effort, I gave up for the holidays.

Reaper, Cubase 4 and Cool Edit all installed easily and recognized the 002R. But I don't have the ambition to learn new SW at the moment, and that still doesn't solve my Waves problem.

My honest opinion is that since I've gotten all my data and programs off my old XP machine, it'd be cheaper and easier to build a new XP machine and install my old PT 7.1 and Waves.

The crazy thing is that I don't consider myself particularly dense when it comes to computers, but PT can be a flaming PITA, at least until it starts working.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 12-17-2013, 03:52 PM

Do what you think is best, but be aware that PT 9 and 10 bring quite a lot to the table. But making sure the computer components are actually compatible is step #1 I bet if you go to youtube.com and search for "how to post a Sandra report"(without the quotes) you may get some help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave