Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Looking for help confirming my track bouncing method

Hi. I am bouncing an entire song out of Pro Tools one track @ a time as wave files, and then sending them off as an entire session to be mixed. In my paranoia I just wanted to check that I am doing this properly so here's what I am followin:

-Any mono track I have is being bounced as a mono summed, starting @ zero.

-Any stereo track is being bounced as as a stereo interleaved, starting @ zero.

Any confirmation or guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Looking for help confirming my track bouncing method

Do I understand that you are using Bounce to Disk for every track?(a huge waste of time)... or do we have a miscommunication due to the terminology here? The way to export a session, depends on if its going to another Pro Tools-equipped studio, which version of Pro Tools is used at each location(your studio and the mixdown studio) or is it going to be mixed on some other DAW(like Nuendo or Logic). If its going to another PT-studio, you could take your external drive(if you recorded to one). Next option, open the session and choose Save Copy in, check the box for copy all audio files and send it to any external drive for transport(once at the other studio, have them drag the session folder to one of their audio drives). To keep things neat, you may wish to consolidate all the audio track. You also may want to record any VI tracks so you have audio versions(in case the other studio doesn't have the same VI choices). If its going to a different PT version, you may need to save as 6.x compatible(give us more details for more specific instruction there). If you are going to a non-PT studio, then record any VI tracks to audio, consolidate all audio tracks(always back to zero time) and export regions as files. I send them to a sing folder on the desktop. Then you can drag the folder to an external drive or burn to CD-R or DVD-R(depending on how much space you need).

Regarding PT versions, if say you have PT8 but the mix studio uses PT7, you need to save as compatible with the older version. Now if you recorded on PT6.7(a random choice) and the mix studio uses PT8, then all should open just fine.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Looking for help confirming my track bouncing method

Thanks for the reply. Yes bouncing the tracks individually is not a time-saving option. So I have gone in instead and printed my sounds, cleaned up the tracks and will send the PT sessions over themselves. Thanks.