Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 10:28 AM

Default analog mixers with 001

I want to buy a mixer for 001 after speaking to a very reputable producer friend about mixing out to analog from pro tools. I was looking into a mackie 1604 vlz pro because i would need 4 subgroups in order to achieve this process. Ive heard bad things about the mic pre's on the mixer however (as I would like to use it for tracking as well just to get some different mic pres in the mixes) , and some say the alesis studio 32 is a better choice.

Does anyone out there actually practice this method of mixing out analog instead of summing up in pro tools? If so, what mixer would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 AM

Default Re: analog mixers with 001

If you're taking 8 or 16 outputs from PT, then you just need that many inputs on the mixer. If you plan to submix within the mixer, then you'll need additional busses there, too.

I can't say I've heard ANYONE say the Alesis preamps are better than the Mackie VLZs. The Mackies aren't GML preamps, but I would definitely go with the Mackie myself. The preamps are clean and (I believe) better than the 001 preamps. I would be concerned about headroom in the Alesis mixer - much more so than the Mackie.

There are two COMPLETELY differing schools of thought as to whether summing in analog sounds better than mixing internally. Some say it's a big difference and some say it makes no difference. I would try the mixer yourself and see if you can hear any difference. I personally use a Mackie 8x32 mainly for synth inputs that I can then route into the 001 when I record them, but just return the two main 001 outputs to a couple of channels and mix internally. It makes it SO much easier to reproduce a mix.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:06 PM

I'd have to agree with LW, it might be a big pain in the ass to route everything back out to the board for your mixing tasks.
I'd be all for it if you're dealing with a quality console that will actually make a difference for the better, like a Neve, Trident, Soundcraft Ghost, etc...
But to run it all back to a budget mixer like a Mackie....I'd probably stick to mixing internally in PT, much more flexible and easier.

As for a board for monitoring, well then a Mackie would do fine, though I hear the greatest things about the Soundcraft Spirit M-series, supposedly having some very sweet EQ's and preamps you could use on the way to the 001. Just a thought....
Old 12-14-2002, 03:17 PM

for the limited analog i/o, and the so so converters, IMHO you would degrade our audio quality going to an analog mixer and back into PT. the advantage is the ability to use hardware devices, dynamics and effects, beyond the 001's i/o capabilities and avioding more latency.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:21 AM

thanks for the input guys. Although, I have to say that the person that told me that mixing out analog even with the mackie 1604 would make a huge difference, in a good way. I think Ill invest in the mixer regardless just for the routing options and outboard possibilities like you all mentioned. Mixing out to analog is worth trying anyway, if it sounds better than hooray! If not than ill stick with the tools. Thanks again.