Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-10-1999, 09:22 PM

Default using with tape machine?

can protoolsLE be linked to an analogue tape machine for simutanous use????
Old 11-11-1999, 06:31 AM

Default Re: using with tape machine?

Eddie--

If I understand it correctly, it can be done, you will need a sync box that can take incoming LTC from the deck, derive a clock from it, and send that clock to the 001 via the SPDIF or AES inputs. This is assuming that your deck doesn't have a word clock in or out. If it does, the sync will be easier.

I don't know too much about the various sync boxes available, is there a box out there that reads LTC, derives a clock from it, and outputs a SPDI or AES "null clock"?

- atom -
Old 11-11-1999, 09:31 AM

Thansk man...
however i got no idea on this 'clock' concept..... can some one explain.. and models brands ets..

Thanks
ROCK ON
Old 11-11-1999, 02:26 PM

The MOTU Digital Time Peice will do this. I do it right now with an AMIII. I mix to protools locked to my 2" machine. It locks so well, I just mark my spot and "punch in" on my mix. Sort of like poor man's automation! Just send TC to the DTP and select a sample rate on the DTP. Then put Protools in digital sync and analog audio in,( in the session setup window).The DTP converts SMPTE into MTC and and sends out clock via SPDIF and TC via midi. It works great. I've been told this is the same with the 001.
Old 11-11-1999, 04:55 PM
Avid

Eddie--

It looks like you got what you were looking for.

In response to your wanting an explanation of the "clock" concept, here it is. There are two pieces to the sync puzzle: positional reference and clock reference. The positional reference tells each system at what position to start playing. The clock reference makes sure that the two systems are marching along in step with each other once they start.

There are a bunch of different clock formats in use today: Blackburst (house sync), word clock, and Digi Superclock are three common clocks. There are also several different positional references, most often its SMPTE(LTC) or MTC.

In the scenario you describe, the DTP is actually taking the positional reference from the analog deck, and converting it into a clock reference. Since the analog deck doesn't have word clock in or out, the DTP has to "create" a word clock from the incoming SMPTE. This is a tricky process, and it is imprtant that the analog deck be striped with high quality LTC in order for it to work well.

Then once the DTP has created the clock, it sends it to 001 via the SPDIF digital inputs. This is possible because all digital signals have a built in clock. In fact, the SPDIF signal doesn't even need to have any audio, it can just pass on the clock info.

And finally, the DTP will also convert the SMPTE to MTC and send it to Pro Tools via the MIDI input on the 001.

Whew.

Ted

[This message has been edited by ProdInfo (edited 11-12-99).]